SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 3

NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 3

Post by NightRadio »

Updated 29 aug 2012.
The new testing version 1.7.2 BETA 3 is out!
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/beta/sunvox1.7.2.beta3.zip
(for Windows, Linux, OSX, PalmOS and Windows Mobile)

What is new:
BETA 3
  • new module - MetaModule; with this module you can include some external .sunvox song to your project and use this song as synth or effect; EXAMPLES INCLUDED; Not available for PalmOS;
  • new option in the Preferences->Audio Ouput: Audio buffer size;
  • new std. pattern effect 30 - use it to stop playing the song;
  • changing the size of the modules by mouse wheel (scroll wheel);
  • bugs fixed.
BETA 2
  • added eight layers for the modules; for example you can place some complicated drum chain on the first layer, and all other synths - on the second layer; layers can be visible together or separately;
  • new function "Scale" in the Module menu: use it if you want a smaller or bigger module size for the current project;
  • "Ignore velocity" option added to the Preferences->MIDI;
  • new controller in the Reverb module - "All-pass filter"; use it to enable/disable output all-pass filter;
  • new controller in the Reverb module - "Room size";
  • added autorepeat mode for the following buttons: HLD (clear current note), OFF (insert Note OFF), INS (insert), BCK (backspace);
  • several bugs fixed.
BETA 1
  • new module - WaveShaper;
  • new options in Preferences->Recording: Pattern fit to grid, Note quantization, Controller quantization;
  • empty parameter of the vibrato effect 04 is now treated as "use previous parameter value"; works only for songs created in SunVox 1.7.2 and higher;
  • new option "smooth frequency change" in the Analog Generator; enabled by default; disable it if you want to use arpeggio effect 08;
  • velocity map in the MultiSynth module;
  • improved CPU Usage Monitor with scrolling and module selection;
  • maximum number of pattern tracks has been increased from 8 to 16;
  • maximum Echo delay length increased to 4 seconds (except for PalmOS, where still the maximum is 1 second);
  • new controller in the Echo module - "Delay units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Filter module - "LFO frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Flanger module - "Vibrato speed units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the LFO module - "Frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Vibrato module - "Frequency units" with different available modes (ms, Hz, ticks, lines);
  • new controller in the Vibrato module - "Set phase";
  • sound engine optimization;
  • many bugs fixed.
SolarLune

Re: SunVox v1.7.2 BETA 3

Post by SolarLune »

Oh, wow, cool! Downloading now!
A-N

Post by A-N »

you 're the guy :)
alex
jcage

Post by jcage »

NightRadio wrote:
  • new module - MetaModule; with this module you can include some external .sunvox song to your project and use this song as synth or effect; EXAMPLES INCLUDED; Not available for PalmOS;
wow, just tested playing back a .sunvox mod as metamodule... works as expected! Definitly a killer feature! But I need to import (join) two .sunvox modules... should be easy to implement, please ......
organic io

Post by organic io »

Hey Nightradio.

2 things:

1) Bug: metamodule_test.sunvox crashes on Win32 when I try to load it. In fact Sunvox beta 3 crashes when I even try to load a metamodule at all, however it plays older files just fine.
(I haven't tried to load metamodule_test.sunvox on WinCE yet since I forgot to copy it, just the cab)
This machine has Win XP. I will check on Wine in Linux when I get home and let you know if it does the same.

2) But, I did check out the long awaited meta module feature today on WinCE/Mobilepro (doesn't crash it). Really cool. I especially like how you assign an "input module". However, what I wish for most is the ability to directly access ALL of the parameters on the metamodule's "internal modules". I.e. without having to "assign" them first. What about adding an "edit" button or something that just loads up a sub-screen which has a list of all the "internal modules" *and* all their parameter sliders too?

What I'm envisioning is: An independently run website to share these meta modules where users can submit their own modules/presets, etc for others to download. It would be kind of like vst's are. I really think this would allow the Sunvox community to flourish and for people to create more high quality songs because they are able to work with and tweak resources that have already been created. A "building block" of sorts. I also think it would be important for the downloads to have user ratings so it is easy to distinguish the quality modules.

But!! In order for this to work, I think the meta's themselves will need to be able to be edited and changed easily. Otherwise they are too static and will lead to not enough variation. I.e. everyone's synth sounds the same because they were too lazy to mess with the presets.

Maybe just a dream. :) Maybe I'm crazy :)
mrev

Post by mrev »

wow metatmodules are awesome!

I really like how when you access controllers, under 'link to', whatever parameter is selected is temporarily/automatically assigned and usable by the the 'user defined fader'! pretty decent alternative to having access to all parameters, easy to scroll through the list and just use that one fader.

one thing i'm confused on - some of your sample meta modules are saved as .sunsynths? is there any advantage to this? far as i can see you'd have to load a .sunvox as a meta module then save as .sunsynth from the mod menu..but not seeing where the incentive is to do this vs saving as .sunvox.. thx for any insight.

scrollwheel module zoom awesonme too btw
organic io

Post by organic io »

organic io wrote: presets.
Speaking of presets.... Do you see what I'm getting at here? Loading/saving them just like vst's...

Imagine the power :D
organic io

Post by organic io »

mrev wrote: I really like how when you access controllers, under 'link to', whatever parameter is selected is temporarily/automatically assigned and usable by the the 'user defined fader'! pretty decent alternative to having access to all parameters, easy to scroll through the list and just use that one fader.

Doh, I didn't notice this! Nice compromise, though it still would be nice to have onscreen access to all parameters at once :)
geckojsc

Post by geckojsc »

Yes, I'm getting the crashing problem on win32 too (I'm on a 64 bit system now, although that shouldn't make any difference)
Still, this is a fantastic and promising feature - can't wait to try it out and share some of my synths. ;)
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

'Tis crashing for me as well - Windows 7 64-bit.
ElHuesudoII

Post by ElHuesudoII »

Crashing for me too. Win7 64-bit.
organic io

Post by organic io »

It locks up Wine.

Works fine with Linux_x86 version in Ubuntu 10.04

Also I confirmed that the metamodule_test.sunvox works fine on Windows CE 4.2 on the Mobilepro
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Updated!
Several serious bugs fixed.

Also please check the new examples:
metamodule_test2.sunvox
and
meta_electro_drum_loop.sunsynth
:)

You can not only play the modules within the MetaModule. You can also play the whole song of the MetaModule.
CoolGreenApple

Post by CoolGreenApple »

Great update, Alex! The only problem I have noticed so far is the keys seem to stick more often than usual (meaning a note will play from the onscreen keyboard after it is let go). I really like the ability to change module size with the mouse wheel.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

organic io wrote:Hey Nightradio.

What I'm envisioning is: An independently run website to share these meta modules where users can submit their own modules/presets, etc for others to download. It would be kind of like vst's are. I really think this would allow the Sunvox community to flourish and for people to create more high quality songs because they are able to work with and tweak resources that have already been created. A "building block" of sorts. I also think it would be important for the downloads to have user ratings so it is easy to distinguish the quality modules.

But!! In order for this to work, I think the meta's themselves will need to be able to be edited and changed easily. Otherwise they are too static and will lead to not enough variation. I.e. everyone's synth sounds the same because they were too lazy to mess with the presets.

Maybe just a dream. :) Maybe I'm crazy :)
That sounds really cool. I'm not sure if anyone can host the files (i.e. if anyone wants to upload submitted ones to Mediafire). An alternative might be to host torrents on a site? Maybe that wouldn't require a file itself, but could be a torrent URL? I don't think that's the way it works, but it might be a quicker alternative to hosting the files themselves. Security / viruses and the lack of ability to update files would be a concern, though.