Custom Row Highlights

CoryCulley

Custom Row Highlights

Post by CoryCulley »

I know these features have been requested by several people before me... whats holding you back NightRadio?

Right now, pattern rows in the pattern editor are highlighted 00, 04, 08, 12, 16 (bright highlight) etc.
I would like to customize this, 00, 06, 12, 18, 24 etc for triplets and swing rhythms. See Deflemask tracker for an example on how this is done.

ALSO.

The option for Sunvox to remember the size of the last pattern created (row counts) to streamline writing songs with unusual patterns. Maybe even some buttons with triplet multiples in addition to the 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 buttons already available.

I've purchased Android and iOS copies of Sunvox about 3-4 times now and these are the features I'm missing the most. I often avoid writing in triplets and odd rhythms because its cumbersome to do in Sunvox as it is right now. Anybody else agree?

That's all I have.
Koekepan

Re: Custom Row Highlights

Post by Koekepan »

I'm not going to say that I want NightRadio NOT to work on custom row highlighting, but ...

... speaking as someone who does a lot of stuff with weird metres (or just ignore the metronome completely a lot) this is rather far down on my priority list. I set the row advance to a number that suits my purposes, and I enter notes.

I have much more interest in, for example, round robin multisynth, or multichannel MIDI recording, or MIDI assignment of controllers to specific synths, or quite a few other features.

Sorry to be a devil's advocate, but I don't think this is your best bet for a huge practical change.

Pro tip: create an empty pattern in a size that you want, and then copy and paste it a few times. Voila! An instant working set.
CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

Having prior experience programming a tracker, I can say it would be a trivial task to add this feature and would likely be of little hindrance to adding the features others are interested in, that is of course dependent on how he's structured his layout code, but given his modular approach, my guess is it would be simple and useful for everyone.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

Sometimes it would be nice to set line highlighting differently, such as 12 lines per beat.

With 12 lines per beat triplets no longer need to use any delay commands.

You can get some pretty nice triplets with square (or other) LFO for now, or just set pattern length and ignore the line highlighting.
CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

These tips and suggestions are nice and they do work, but they are workarounds to an issue, like crutches. Copying and pasting patterns & ignoring line highlights at intervals of four when trying to do triplet rhythms and melodies is not the most efficient and professional way to go about it. I can compose standard even meter 4/4 music very quickly. But I tend to avoid triplets because of the extra work involved, but when I don't, its a tedious process...

I like jazz and electronic, classical and chiptune. Sunvox is the most powerful tracker available for mobile devices. This feature would streamline composing in all forms of rhythms and time, and make Sunvox much more powerful and attractive to composers who take music in all its forms seriously. I stopped using DAW's in favor of Sunvox. Its all i use now and if I have to donate money to push this feature through, I will.

8)