Pixilang on MIPS! (rg280v)

Pixilang programming language
maks

Pixilang on MIPS! (rg280v)

Post by maks »

I'm pleased to report I have a build of Pixilang 3.8.2b for MIPS built and working on a Anbernic rg280v running the latest "beta" version of Opendingux firmware.
Unfortunately I did need to disable Midi (though I suspect the rg280v model can't do USB OTG anyways), so I still need to go back and figure out why I was getting compile errors with it.

The OpenGL demos don't seem to work too, though supposedly these little things have a Vivante GC860 GPU and so can support OpenGLES 2 so maybe I just need to learn some more about how to get that working,

Anyways a small demo showing SDL gfx and sound output working quite well with the "test2.pixi" example:

https://youtube.com/shorts/x1Qrs195npc?feature=share
maks

Re: Pixilang on MIPS! (rg280v)

Post by maks »

Just to quickly add for the adventurous I've published my changes (hacks) along with some basic instructions: https://github.com/maks/pixilang/pull/1
maks

Post by maks »

Following up on this, I would like to also have a go at getting the previously done Lua bindings working on the RG280v and similar Opendingux handhelds but I ran into the problem that the existing zip file with prebuilt Sunvox libraries doesn't have a prebuilt library version for Linux MIPS (only x86 and arm), while the lib_sunvox in the Pixilang source code zipfile doesn't match the API from Sunvox.h that's exposed by the prebuilt Sunvox lib.

@NightRadio would you be able to publish a Makefile and the sources that would allow me to build the Sunvox .so for Linux MIPS?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

It's great!
I should add all these changes to the Pixilang distro.
would you be able to publish a Makefile and the sources that would allow me to build the Sunvox .so for Linux MIPS?
I will probably do it, but later :)
maks

Post by maks »

Thanks, it would be great if you could make them available! :-)

I really like using Pixilang, I think its a great match for working with SunvoxLib and doing bitmap graphics for small screen devices like these!
But also Lua has a pretty big community and I think it would really open up SunvoxLib & Sundog for lots more people to enjoy using them on these great little devices for small homebrew games or old-school demos.

I should add that it would be great to be able to have the source to compile sunvoxlib as there also new devices on the horizon, eg. the new RISC-V Allwinner D1 chips are starting to be available now and as they are very low cost and fairly powerful, I could expect them or future RISC-V chips to be used in future handheld games consoles.