Module MIDI channels not working when assigned

skoobert

Module MIDI channels not working when assigned

Post by skoobert »

Hello All,

I'm a new SunVox user (using the latest version) and have been loving working with it so far. I'm using it on a RPi 3 B+ connected to two M-Audio Uno USB/MIDI cables receiving MIDI data from random note generators in real-time. The idea is to have one MIDI device sending notes to one group of sound-generating modules on channel 1 and the other MIDI device sending another set of notes to a second set of modules on channel 2. Kind of like a duet with two different MIDI sources :)

I'm having a few different issues. They are:

(1) The MIDI device set to channel 1 will cause any module to trigger no matter what the module's MIDI IN channel is set on.
(2) The second MIDI device set to channel 2 does not trigger any modules set to MIDI IN channel 2 or any other channel for that matter. The qjackctl recognizes that there are two different MIDI devices connected and the SunVox config file shows that they are separate devices on separate channels.
I can't figure it out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Module MIDI channels not working when assigned

Post by NightRadio »

Please don't forget to set MIDI IN mode to "always", so the modules will play its channels even when they are not selected.
By default (MIDI IN mode "when selected") only the current selected module can receive the MIDI notes.
skoobert

Post by skoobert »

Thanks for the reply 👍 I've got MIDI IN set to "always" for each module. I did manage to get the other UNO working by running JACK and the a2j_bridge daemon. I'm still having the same issue where both midi sources are sending notes to the sound modules regardless of the channel that they are set on. Am I mistaken, or is it not possible in SunVox to assign MIDI channels to certain instruments? I hoping to have 3-4 modules set to MIDI IN Channel 1 receiving their own MIDI notes and 3-4 modules set to MIDI IN Channel 2 receiving another set creating a counter melody to Channel 1. Also, do you know if the a2bridge merges MIDI data when two sources are sent to SunVox from JACK? Thanks again!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

is it not possible in SunVox to assign MIDI channels to certain instruments?
It's possible.

Also, do you know if the a2bridge merges MIDI data when two sources are sent to SunVox from JACK? Thanks again!
Please try the following:
1) double click on some controller - the Controller Properties window will be opened;
2) click "..." to the right of "MIDI IN";
3) press some key on the first midi device;
4) midi event will be captured, and you will see the channel number from which it came;
5) go to the step (2) and try again with the second midi device.
skoobert

Post by skoobert »

Thanks for the help again! I'll try this :)
skoobert

Post by skoobert »

UPDATE: everything is working now. It was a major oversight on my part. Thanks again for the help AND for such an amazing program, NightRadio! I've got it running on a headless RPi 3 B+ from the console (courtesy of Marky Shaw's instructions).