SunVox: Line-in signal processing on Android/iOS

NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox: Line-in signal processing on Android/iOS

Post by NightRadio »

leondustar

Re: SunVox: Line-in signal processing on Android/iOS

Post by leondustar »

sorry for bumping this post, but first of all: awesome video and a big thanks for inspiring so many people.

question: what is your experience concerning nonlaptop devices (android, palmos e.g.) and stereo line-in?

reason: i use sunvox in combination with a hardware groovebox. It would be awesome if i could apply sunvox-effects on my groovebox-audiosignal. I have irig adapters, but sadly they are targeted at guitars (mono)

maybe connecting a usb soundcard to ios or android would work?

I would love to hear your experiences.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

awesome video and a big thanks for inspiring so many people.
You are welcome!

what is your experience concerning nonlaptop devices (android, palmos e.g.) and stereo line-in?
At least i can say that it's possible :) The INPUT module can receive a stereo signal.
iOS: there are many external sound interfaces for this system, so you can use one of them.
Android: it is possible in theory, but in fact there are still some problems. Just tested my Galaxy S4 phone with Zoom H4n recorder. The phone recognizes it as the sound output, but the INPUT module still receive sound from the built-in microphone. I will investigate it a bit further...
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

Thanks! Btw. look what i found on android.stackexchange.com:
Android DOES support USB sound cards over android 5.0, or, if you have a sony, the Z series (Z2 and up), they support it since 4.4. I use my phone with a cheap chinese device, but tried a Xonar U3, and a creative Play!. However I never tried the audio recording through these cards.
source: https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... for-videos

I have several budget soundcards somewhere in my closet (plugnplay ones which dont need drivers).
I will let you know my results :)

Keep in touch

ps. imagine the possibilities to send carrier+wave data (L+R) into an android phone.
That could open up a world of interesting midl-agnostic solutions.
For example, controlling sunvox machine-parameters/triggers using sound2ctl etc.

ps2. this would be perfect for my case: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEHRINGER-LINE ... SwhpZaEJV9
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

interesting, it seems that sunvox 'input' module on iOS is receiving audio in microphone-mode.
This means that everything below 200hz is filtered out.

testsetup: I hooked an irig guitar-adapter (mono in + stereo out) into my iphone 4 with iOS 7.

Maybe the input-module of the iOS build should set it to 'measurement'-mode.
"It’s this measurement mode (in iOS) that disables the high-pass filter."
source: https://blog.faberacoustical.com/2012/i ... ic-inputs/
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Maybe the input-module of the iOS build should set it to 'measurement'-mode.
Yes, thank you. There is some special mode (AVAudioSessionModeMeasurement) i never used in my apps.
I will check it.

You can try to launch SunVox along with some other application that can enable the measurement mode.
For example, with Audiobus.