SunVox To-Do List

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox Todo List

Post by NightRadio » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 am

Ok, i'll think about it.
Although there is no mistake :) Copy/paste works by algorithm described here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1829

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 am

But seems i understand the problem.

For example, we have two patterns:
[ 1 ]
[ clone of 1 ]

Select and Copy it.

After Paste we'll get:
[ 2 ]
[ clone of 1 ]

But user expects to see this:
[ 2 ]
[ clone of 2 ]

beefinator

Post by beefinator » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 am

Nope, it's definitely a bug.
I just did a bad job at explaining it...

Here's a screenshot of an example of what I mean:
Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.02.26 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-10-23 at 3.02.26 PM.png (26.76 KiB) Viewed 7126 times

Here's exactly what I did:
Select all the left patterns.
Copy
Paste
Move all the pasted ones to the right of the originals

Notice the 3rd pattern in the 3rd row of the pasted patterns. It swapped it out for the pattern on the bottom row! I haven't figured any logic yet to why this happens. It happens no matter the length of the pattern (e.g., a 256 line pattern could be replaced by a 32 line pattern) or whether the pattern is a parent or a child (e.g., a parent pattern could be replaced by a different cloned pattern)

Also, another completely unrelated suggestion: on the newest Mac version of Sunvox (and previous versions, too) you cannot double-click on a .sunvox file to open it in Sunvox. It says that "Sunvox cannot open files of this type". So you have to click "load" after sunvox opens. Any way to fix this? i.e., you click on a .sunvox file and it opens sunvox and loads this file automatically?
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am

Ok, i'll check it in detail again.
on the newest Mac version of Sunvox (and previous versions, too) you cannot double-click on a .sunvox file to open it in Sunvox.
I plan to add such feature in the next versions :)

organic io

Post by organic io » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Nightradio... After finally using Sunvox for a little while today, I have some suggestions/requests

Major request:
* Meta module - This would be a module that would simply chain other modules together in linear order. (The output of each module would be routed directly and automatically to the next in the list) This would serve 2 purposes:
1) Speeding up the time it takes to get effects in a chain. For example if after I load a sampler I know I am usually going to add EQ, reverb, compression, etc... Instead of having to build all those devices and manually chain them together in the graphical-modules-display-area, it would be a lot quicker to just select them from a dropdown menu inside of the meta module and load them into slots.
2) Reducing clutter in the graphical-modules-display-area (Sorry I don't know what it's actually called)... Let's say I have 10 different samplers, and I want a complely different effects chain on each one. If each effects chain averages 5 effects, we are looking at something like 50 or 60 modules here. That's just for my samplers! What if I then wanted to add generators and stuff too? I haven't actually done this yet but I can imagine it can be very tedious and confusing! Forgetting what goes where, etc... Especially on a mobile device with a smaller screen. This is not really practical. Whereas if you had a meta module, you would reduce the number of items displayed on the graphical-modules-area to one little box per sample/effects chain. For example in one meta module, I could load a sampler --> Distortion --> EQ --> Reverb --> Compressor ... All in one tidy package.

Here's a really bad illustration I made to show how the meta-module could possibly look

I understand that the beauty of the modular view is multiple routing options, but for cases when linear routing is required (which is much of the time), then giving us the option of streamlining it makes a lot of sense.

What do you think? :)

Medium requests:
*Option to type text for pattern names instead of drawing an icon
I'm not much of an artist and I find it tedious to try to write words in the icon editor. Is there any way you could just also add the option of typing a short name for patterns? Maybe a 10 character limit or something? That way I can say "drums1", "bass1", "synth3", etc... I'm not much of a visual person so I'd be quick to forget what the different icon pictures stood for unless I try to "draw" letters in the editor

*Gate device <-- something to consider anyway

*More Frequencies in the EQ. I think there's only 3 bands right now, right? What about a new EQ device with more bands, such as 8 or 10? You could add it along with the existing 3 band EQ.

Small request:
*Select color scheme in ARM version (other than editing cfg file). My understanding is you have to manually type in the color codes into an ini file. Why not add a color scheme selector just like in the win32 version?

I'll probably have some other ideas too after I've had more time to play with it. But I really feel strongly that the meta module would really be a positive change for the Sunvox workflow.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Thank you for suggestions!
Meta module - very interesting idea. Something like another feature in SunVox to-do list - "Ability to load sunvox project as module". I'll think about this!
About manual color selection for UI. May be i'll add this feature in the new SunVox. But now you can select one of several predefined color schemes through Main menu -> Preferences.

organic io

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:22 am

Hey, just wanted to give some praise to Sunvox as well! I've been using it tonight and it's just really fun :) The user interface is so fast in the pattern editor, typing effect commands is a breeze. And the ability to use tracker effects on a generator is really cool. I don't think you can do stuff like that in Renoise, for example "glide to note" on a vsti - it would have to be a sample first. (I think)... Anyway, really cool :D

I'll have some more suggestions soon, but for now I'd like to praise what you've already accomplished. Keep up the great work!

organic io

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 am

While I take a break from tracking and also upload another compo entry to the Bandcamp page, let me add some suggestions I came up with tonight. Hopefully this will not be too much of a bombardment, but I really really like your software, Alex... And I think it has the potential to be even way better than it already is, which would make truly exceptional :D

Roughly in order of importance:

* Add a hotkey to "Play row" in pattern editor (preview row, whatever)... I find it difficult to not be able to hear the harmony on the current row while tracking, and instead starting playback from the beginning of the pattern

* Add panning column! (or am I missing something here?)

* Add tracker vibrato effect please ????

* instrument select either by keypress or small menu to choose
(small menu could cycle through generators / instruments only).. For example in the upper right corner of the screen you could just have a small window which shows the currently selected instrument, and some arrows to toggle the next or previous.

* Naming track columns in pattern editor. May not be necessary since everything is more broken up into separate patterns.

* ability to add markers in the timeline (i.e. "chorus, verse", etc).. This would help keep song structure more visible

* Add right-click menu option to access pattern properties from the timeline area. Going way up to the top doesn't make much sense when you are in song-arrangement mindset. :)

* merge patterns together in grid -- Some way to be able to select two patterns in the timeline window and maybe right click and say "merge patterns"... :)

Less important ones:

* stop automatic scrolling during playback (Or maybe I missed this option?)

* ability to highlight just the effects columns

* mouse movement makes the window automatically scroll up when selecting in the timeline editor.
----

Just suggestions anyway! Really great program, and I'm looking forward to hearing the other compo entries.

SawZer

Post by SawZer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:25 pm

organic io wrote: * Add tracker vibrato effect please ????

* Add right-click menu option to access pattern properties from the timeline area. Going way up to the top doesn't make much sense when you are in song-arrangement mindset. :)
For the vibrato, look at my SVC Entry. The moment the square lead comes in, it uses the vibrato effect with portmento up/down.
G5 .. 08 0001 0004
--- .. --- 0002 0004
Like that.

And for pattern properties, try double-clicking a pattern :)

beefinator

Post by beefinator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 pm

organic io wrote:
* Add panning column! (or am I missing something here?)
Any parameter of any module, including panning, is able to be modified within the pattern.
Say module 02 is a generator, here are the columns of one step
note—velocity—module #—parameter #—effect #—control value
-- -- 02 03 -- 8000

That would set the generator panning to hard right. This works for any parameter, for example, duty cycle, filter cutoff+resonance, etc
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)

organic io

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll give them a look later on :D

SolarLune

Post by SolarLune » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 pm

@organic io - To make the editor not scroll, go into Edit-mode (the record symbol in the top right corner / space-key).

organic io

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

SolarLune wrote:@organic io - To make the editor not scroll, go into Edit-mode (the record symbol in the top right corner / space-key).
Oh... I must have a bad (?) habit of turning off edit mode before pressing F9 or F11... I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

P.S... A lot of times I accidentally press "Esc" to try to enable/disable edit mode, since that is the key to do it in Renoise. Good thing there is an exit confirmation dialog box, otherwise I would have lost my progress about 15 times already :roll:

organic io

Post by organic io » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 am

beefinator wrote: Any parameter of any module, including panning, is able to be modified within the pattern.
Say module 02 is a generator, here are the columns of one step
note—velocity—module #—parameter #—effect #—control value
-- -- 02 03 -- 8000

That would set the generator panning to hard right. This works for any parameter, for example, duty cycle, filter cutoff+resonance, etc
Really cool info, thanks man. I didn't realize what the parameter # column did but it's a great feature.

Unfortunately I am using 1 generator on two tracks simultaneously, and I am wanting to pan them separately.... I tried using the parameter settings, but it seems to only take one of them and not both... Probably because it doesn't make sense to pan a single generator in two different directions :) I guess I would need to set up a second generator for this.
organic io wrote:
SolarLune wrote:@organic io - To make the editor not scroll, go into Edit-mode (the record symbol in the top right corner / space-key).
Oh... I must have a bad (?) habit of turning off edit mode before pressing F9 or F11... I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.
Well, it appears that edit mode gets switched off automatically when you press F11 .... And then you have to re-enable it once playback starts.... ? Nightradio, any chance you could give us the option to disable this?

What if I'm one of those people that likes to do math with a permanent marker!? What if I want to have edit mode on ALL THE TIME!!?!??1 MUAHAHA :evil: (OK, I'm not that person.... But what if I was?) :lol:

organic io

Post by organic io » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Some more praise:

The color lines in the pattern editor which show which instrument is playing are great!!

Also using the timeline editor means tracking is not such a copy and paste fest! :D :D :D