Making Waves Studio - The Tracker-Like Piano-Roller Great Workflow>>>

DAWs, trackers, sequencers, sound editors and plugins from other developers
WaxingAndWaning

Making Waves Studio - The Tracker-Like Piano-Roller Great Workflow>>>

Post by WaxingAndWaning »

It is amazing this is still available in 2023 & for dirt cheap as well...

Trying this out today I find it very fast to put a tune together & it is a great DAW to combine sample & VSTi workflow. The piano roll looks deceptively simple but has clever toolboxes, one that can apply velocity, offset, stereo (pan), length, attack, detune & slide based on note setiings, beat settings and-or pitch settings....There is also another box for creating arps-chords (not shown here)

This is for samples you bring in & it will auto-map a folder of multisamples as well...VSTi has a more limited dialog but you choose params or controllers from the main track header button to automate so same deal...

I have found NOTHING with a faster workflow for testing out presets of VSTi-VST-DX on a running loop as Making Waves creates it's own presets of internalized VST presets for VERY FAST deployment...

The very low CPU & RAM usage is extremely heart-warming & this has the LOWEST system requires of ANY presently available DAW you could run this on windows 95 with a pentium though I would not want to...

That is one drawback which this only apparently runs on windows 7 down...I am using XP, works great & I see no need for using ASIO as of yet...

FOR ME the only thing I don't like is the lack of a setting for easily incorporation of triplets but I know the workarounds for such ordeals so not a big issue...

Adding FX & automating is very fluid in a realtime setting & making minor tweaks very simple...There is more to it then you might think...

I heard where the original developer died in 2011 & it seems like that is about when it came to a stop but still there even today...

Take it for a spin, you like it then it's just a few bucks...

http://www.makingwavessoftware.com/

WaxingAndWaning

Re: Making Waves Studio - The Tracker-Like Piano-Roller Great Workflow>>>

OH...Apparently THIS GUY made an album with Making Waves Studio-

WaxingAndWaning

That Daniel Bedingfield album is what really shot up sales for Making Waves back in 2001, as well as being stable & easy to use...

I actually found the interview in MP3 from back then-

https://web.archive.org/web/20051228103 ... master.mp3
WaxingAndWaning

OK well, I found where you can do triplets....

It's not where I thought it would be....

So my only complaint is PICKY plugin scanning. BUTT! If you have a billion plugins you will STILL be able to use 300-400 million!...

Doing more digging I find that version 4 gained DX FX ability but it wasn't till LATER in version 4 that VST-VSTi was added...

At any rate once you figger out scanning if you FINISH a scan & your Making Waves EXE is using 50% of CPU & locked up you will have to remove the plugin & rescan...

So ONLY scan a plug or two at a time!...

I got plenty of great plugs to work fine...Hypersonic, Linplug CronoX 3 & Sophistry 3, WOW2, The Don't Crack Bundle, All the new Audio Damage Freebies (except for Tattoo), Gmedia ImpOSCar (original version 1) & many more...