PinePhone

Keres

PinePhone

Post by Keres »

anyone running Sunvox on a pinephone?

i just got my pinephone in the mail and rooted it with postmarket Phosh. it's pretty nice. i installed Audacity, which has a few issues but works. I tried to get sunvox running, but apparently Alpine linux is a different animal than debian. whenever i try to run it from the terminal it just says: "/bin/ash: sunvox: command not found"
Keres

Re: PinePhone

Post by Keres »

OK. nevermind.
Sunvox uses glibc and PostmarketOS uses musl. you would have to re-compile a special version linking the library that they use. solution: find a debian based OS for the poor phone like Mobian.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

ayy pinephone!

how is it? thinking about getting one for myself, to replace my crappy proprietary phone
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
Keres

Post by Keres »

well it is killer for a phone.

i had to install mobian to get sunvox to work. i tested the Manjaro with sunvox, it played 3 or 4 notes out of 10... weird error, but because of other stuff, I just gave up on the stock OS. then i tested postmarket with SXMO, was fast and killer for a phone, then txt's all had to be opened in Vim and i was like... uuuuh... ok. then i installed postmarket with Phosh and it was working smooth... smooth. tried audacity from their repos, only to find a weird input error. also bluetooth seemed unstable. to install mobian i had to install some funkey bootloader... the reason i donno, i suspect bloatware on the part of debian, but i have no idea. they might think people are booting these machines with 2 and 4 gig micro SD cards? i have a 32 so... but mobian worked best after lengthy install via towboot. now sunvox works from command line with 5ms latency taking 25% cpu by default (estimated). there are other things going on in the background, as any phone or laptop will have. with 11ms latency i am at about 13% hovering. that's good enough for most things i do, im sure you can make plenty a good track with that spec. that being the case... seems like my Honor 7X ran it faster... even though it did have a 60ms latency (no jitter). im sure the spec on the hardware of the pinephone is not the best. seems like this thing is entirely built out of reclaimed/recycled parts. the camera is all cruddy like 1998 and the speakers and mic are definitely not HiQ. it is definitely a test phone. if you have a good android or iphone it might be better for sunvox module playback in terms of CPU. still, it is killer to have it run in landscape mode and under native debian. Im sure this company will produce a better product to satisfy all the demand, something like "Projeck Redwood" or some crunk. i only got it because the prices of SBM's were getting so high, i might as well kill 2 birds and get something to replace a broken phone. honestly 200$ for the thing isn't bad, but my Honoh 7X only cost 130$ in 2018. i donno... phone wars. im talking about this living in the USA, if i lived in a country in South America, the tariffs could be as much as the phone costs so... i donno, but it's killer to have a debian device for a phone. my honest overall score of coolness factor is much higher than my overall score of usefulness. all around i give it 92%, which is an A- at universities like Berkley, and a B at Florida.