Pattern Trigger Order/Probability?

johan_s

Pattern Trigger Order/Probability?

Post by johan_s »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but couldn't figure out any precise answers to this. I've been wondering for a while if there is a way to trigger patterns in Sunvox using probability or randomness instead of the usual left to right pattern order. Ableton users might be familiar with 'follow actions' for example. It would be really useful to be able to trigger patterns based on percentage and chance; would bring a lot of variation to compositions... I feel like somewhere in the sunvox interface this is possible, I'm just not seeing something or haven't figured it out yet.

If anyone knows a solution to this please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Keres

Re: Pattern Trigger Order/Probability?

Post by Keres »

1: make a metamodule out of the pattern. select "play pattern" or "arpeggiate" in the metamodule options.
2: use a multisyth to play said metamodue with said pattern and use 20xxxx or 21xxxx commands to play with the desired probability
Keres

Post by Keres »

oh... about the first point, you have to manually copy the pattern into the new metamodule, but as for the plugin (machines), you can select all relevant modules and right click "make metamodule" i believe the module numbers are preserved so you don't even have to edit or remap the instrument numbers in the pattern. just make sure the pattern is *inside* the new metamodule.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

tried this and it does work for playing a pattern with probability, but if I'm trying to alternate between 2 or more patterns, can't figure out how to do it without just having the metamodule patterns playing on top of eachother
Keres

Post by Keres »

what you do is put all the patterns in one metamodule. i like to stick to a number of patterns easily divisible by 8000 (say 4).
put everything in there, then use the phase slider from a multisynth to control the metamodule (or you can use the 7xxxx command without a multisyth). so now, you can trigger patterns 1 from phase=0000, 2 from 2000, 3 from 4000, and 4 from 6000. but it will play through all the patterns, and you don't want that, so you go back in and edit each of those 4 patterns with the last to lines having the effects 32 and 31. so 32 should be set to value 1 (skip to pattern) and the last line reads 310000 (when it reaches this line go to step 0 of current pattern). now all of the patterns loop onto themselves.
Keres

Post by Keres »

keep in mind, there are probably 12 other ways to do this, not saying my way is the most efficient. there are GURUS on here who do logic stuff like this using only an amplifier and 2 grains of rice. we might get lucky and one will notice this thread.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

haha cheers, yeah I figure there's a few ways as with most things sunvox. Will try this out and report back, thanks. Will also pray for some logic gurus to hop on here
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

What would be great is a built-in command like 20xxx but for playing patterns or lines.. Maybe one day
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Got it working, using an LFO to control the phase/pattern. Close to what I was hoping for. Here's a basic example using drumsynth / 3 patterns. Gets extra interesting adding 20xxxx to notes inside the metamodule patterns.
Attachments
Phase_Pattern.sunvox
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

yeah, you got the idea of it. now you can do the same thing to samples on each line of a metamodue and do granular stuff too. amazing what sunvox can do compared to other DAW's really.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Exactly, been using sv since 2013 or so and keep discovering new things. In the last year or so especially it's gone from my musical sketch-pad to my go-to DAW more or less
iaon

Post by iaon »

You could put a MultiCtl between the Sound2Ctl and the MultiSynth.
Use Quantization to just start the phase on the main beats.

Quantization at 5 for phase values 0 - 2000 - 4000 - 6000 - 8000.
Or at 9 for phase 0 - 1000 - 2000 etc.
Or at 17 for phase 0 - 800 - 1000 - 1800...
Or at 33...

Then redraw the MultiCtl curve to give the early phase values a greater chance for example.
Vary the Quantization to get more downbeats on the downbeats and more variety inbeween.

Use a synced saw LFO the length of your pattern to just play the pattern, then manipulate the LFO signal: add noise to get slight deviation, through a synced Looper to get repeats...
This requires a Sound2Ctl with no Smooth and a higher Sample rate and maybe sync the LFO slightly before the beat to get to phase 0 in the saw before the note event.

All this can also be used to slice a sampled drumbreak, as long as it's carefully cropped and the beats fall more or less on the straight divisions.