midi controller shown in ALSA but not in Jack

ipodeloc

midi controller shown in ALSA but not in Jack

Post by ipodeloc »

Hello folks,

I'm trying to follow some examples to build a small synth with a Raspberry. I've already built few midi controllers for Ableton, but I'd like to make a small "stand alone" synth. So... I've installed Sunvox on a Rasp 3B+. At there beginning, I plugged an Akai MPK Mini and a DIY controller : working fine, but a little latency (something like 200-300 milliseconds between playing on the Akai and hearing the note in Sunvox". No delay when playing on Sunvox internal keyboard. To solve this problem, I tried to change the sound card : disabling the Rasp internal soundchip (with config.txt). This changed nothing.
Anyway, when I use ALSA as audio driver, it works and I see my MIDI devices, but when I change to Jack, the AKAI and DIY controllers disappear... in Sunvox, the only choice I have is between "NONE" and "JACK" in MIDI devices...
Have you an idea of the reason of this "disappearing"?
Or, Do you know how to reduce the midi latency (using ALSA as audio driver).

Thanks for your help!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: midi controller shown in ALSA but not in Jack

Post by NightRadio »

ipodeloc wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:39 pm Anyway, when I use ALSA as audio driver, it works and I see my MIDI devices, but when I change to Jack, the AKAI and DIY controllers disappear... in Sunvox, the only choice I have is between "NONE" and "JACK" in MIDI devices...
This works a little differently for JACK :)
1) Start qjackctl. Set its MIDI Driver to seq or raw in the Settings, as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/JACK_A ... n_Kit#MIDI
2) Start SunVox. Select "JACK" item in the list of MIDI devices. This port will now appear in the qjackctl list
3) Switch back to the qjackctl and connect SunVox MIDI ports with some other ports