Rolling kick / techno rumble?

Kafkatrap

Rolling kick / techno rumble?

Post by Kafkatrap »

Hi im new to the forum and kind of new to sunvox as a whole.

I dont have a lot of experience with DAWs but Ive managed to create "techno rumbles" in FL studio. However sunvox uses the tracker structure, which feels like you need a bigger understanding of basically everything in order to accomplish what you want to do. And the more i look up the functionality of sunvox the deeper it goes, its way more advanced than i first thought.

I've searched around for "sunvox techno rumble" in search of a guide or tutorial but i havent found anything, so im wondering if any of you might know a bit more?

Any tips on which effects and parameters i need to look at in order to create a rolling kick or rumble?
Koekepan

Re: Rolling kick / techno rumble?

Post by Koekepan »

I'd assemble it from a couple of different sounds, but there are a couple of approaches.

For example: use a kicker module to create a kick that you like. Don't worry about the rumble just yet, just make a good kick.

OK, now use a couple of Filter Pro modules. One set to highpass, capturing everything from around 100Hz up - that's your primary kick.

The other, set to lowpass around 100Hz. This contains the low information that you'll turn into the rumble. Put it through some distortion or a gentle wavefolder (use the smooth function on a wavefolder structure to make it subtler), to give it a bit of personality, then through a reverbe to smear it out a bit, then through an echo module timed to hit every couple of lines.

Now, put the rumble through a compressor, and sidechain that to the primary kick, so that it sort of fills in the gaps between the kick hits.

That should get you 90% of the way there.
Kafkatrap

Post by Kafkatrap »

Thanks I'll try it out!
Keres

Post by Keres »

use the 19xxxx command. (re-trigger note every x tics).

the x should usually be less than the # of tics per line. for example, if you create a song in 6 tics at 120 bpm, a techno style bass drum roll would probably be 4 or 8 lines of C-2 0100190003
eufex

Post by eufex »

Simple example (I’ve just posted one on my FB page in the last couple of weeks):
Kick-output
In parallel
Kick-reverb-lpf-sidechain compression-amplifier -output
In parallel
Kick-different reverb-parallel echo- filter-another sidechain compression (another so you can use different timing)-amplifier
In parallel
Triggered noise/granular-reverb-filtering-another sidechain compressor -amplifier-output
Separate trigger (maybe on the offbeat)
Low Tom -100% wet reverb - filtering- another sidechain compression-output

= a rumble

Into that you can fit various echos, distortions, pitch shifters etc
The results you get out depend on the kick you put in and then all the various fx settings but what I’ve mapped out is a good starting point.

It’s all in the FX/processing chains. The kick is use a straight 4 on the floor.

Because of the reverbs and echos, when it comes to arranging you have 2 choices when you want to drop the kick out etc (because the reverbs and delays will carry on). You can either resample the chains (which also means you can get consistent starts because echos etc take a while to kick in), or you can automate mutes via the amplifiers etc.

Then finally, you might want to glue the whole thing together with some saturation, EQ, maybe heavily filtered echo in parallel, compression.