FM using Generators, Sound2ctl and Glide/PS

CoryCulley

FM using Generators, Sound2ctl and Glide/PS

Post by CoryCulley »

So I had a crazy idea and tried to create FM synthesis with Generators, Sound2Ctl, and Glide/Pitch Shifter. Turned off smoothing, maxed sample rate, and maxed response. The idea was to use one generator to modulate the other generator's frequency.

The results are very unstable. I'm able to get some frequency modulation (and some very interesting sounds) but it doesn't seem to work as well as I'd hoped. Why is this? Is it Nyquist or are the Sound2Ctl, Glide, Pitch Shifters not precise enough?

For what it's worth, I get better results with using Pitch Shifter.
Attachments
FMexpiriment.sunvox
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
nineofkings

Re: FM using Generators, Sound2ctl and Glide/PS

Post by nineofkings »

There is a much easier way to modulate a generator with another generator, which is to use the "Freq. Modulation By Input" slider.
Attachments
GeneratorFM.sunvox
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

nineofkings wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:05 am There is a much easier way to modulate a generator with another generator, which is to use the "Freq. Modulation By Input" slider.
True but the modulation via this method is very limited. You can't push the modulation to noise levels. It also is impossible to use feedback for self modulation. The phase modulator has the same issue and the FM module has very creative envelopes + can only work in a series of two operators.

I was trying to come up with an FM solution that would solve all of these issues and basically have the power and flexibility of Yamaha's 4 and 6 operator FM/PM synths.
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

CoryCulley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:05 am True but the modulation via this method is very limited. You can't push the modulation to noise levels. It also is impossible to use feedback for self modulation. The phase modulator has the same issue and the FM module has very creative envelopes + can only work in a series of two operators.

I was trying to come up with an FM solution that would solve all of these issues and basically have the power and flexibility of Yamaha's 4 and 6 operator FM/PM synths.
I don’t know if that solves some of the problems:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5737

I made some OP Blocks for my compo entry which can let user to define their own algorithms by chaining them. There is a mechanism to regulates the loudness of the modulation signal, so that the modulation result is more even compared to only using PM modulator.