how to create a dynamic EQ?

leondustar

how to create a dynamic EQ?

Post by leondustar »

Hi sunvoxers!
I've tried to create an dynamic EQ, but couldn't really fit it into an metamodule. :unknown:

What is a dynamic eq?
Well it works like a multiband compressor with sidechain, but is actually a EQ which automatically applies cuts to certain params based on the sidechain signal.
Instead of static EQ's, it will only apply cuts/boosts based on the key-signal, leaving things neutral when the key-signal is silent.

Read more here: https://www.waves.com/how-and-when-to-use-dynamic-eq

I had some success using 2 EQ-modules and 6 sound2ctls (one EQ module affecting the other EQ-module), however I couldn't turn this into a metamodule (because the metamodule requires two signals).

Any ideas on how to achieve this intelligent (and lazy) way to auto-equalize stuff instead of multiband compression (which allows only few bands to boost/cut)? :)
Keres

Re: how to create a dynamic EQ?

Post by Keres »

This is the same problem that i have with my cross-fader sunsynths. you have to hard pan the inputs to hard L and hard R so that they modify each other. basically, you have to use 2 for stereo and then you have a mess of amps and multictrls in front. the solution that i have been using is the "layers" in the module layout. just use a layer for routing the signal of an effect that has multiple inputs/modifiers.

I think I understand what you mean by "dynamic" EQ, but couldnt you just use a regular side-chain compressor? good old fashioned gain is the best EQ that I know of. I mean, i can see this effect useful if you had a jazz band where the guitar solo was being drowned out by the keyboard player comping chords really loud on say... an old KorgM1, but in that case i dont thin i would want a fast attack/release between the two of those tracks. seems more of like a master buss effect for a trance track where you would automate a high-pass, but in that case, can't you just use an LFO synced with the tempo?
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

Thanks for the ideas/tips.
Your controllable highpass idea might be a much easier solution for my case with same results.
The LFO solution probably works out as well for most 4 to the floor tracks.
And yes, probably the average listener will never notice sidechain vs controlled highpass.
Thanks for injecting some pragmatism in this thread :)
Keres

Post by Keres »

here is a demo of my work-around of sending 2 signals into a single MetaModule. you can see that the song file has the bassline panned hard left and the bassdrum panned hard right. the DynFreq effect modifies the EQ of the left based on the signal from the right. There are some parameters, but i guess you would have a better idea of what you want... i just notched it out. If you wanted to do this in stereo, you would have to have 2 layouts like the one i have in the song and have 2 more amps with opposite hard pannings. this can get confusing, which is why i usually dedicate a whole layer for an effect like the instead of using a metamodule.
Attachments
Keres_DynaFreq.zip
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

just a small update thought: the 'mix'-slider in filter turns out to be another quick stereo solution.
It'll cut the specified freqrange (using hp/lp/notch) when the mix-slider is controlled by sound2ctl.
Using the saw-LFO inside the filter makes it even sound2ctl agnostic.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

sorry about necroposting but i thought i'd chime in

i did make a fully functional dynamic eq a few weeks ago, it's in my github repo, but i'll attach it here too

the way it works is it uses a filter pro set to either peak, low shelf, or high shelf with the gain all the way down, then inverted and mixed with the dry signal to isolate the part of the spectrum to be equalized. it's then sent to a compressor, and then to a sound2ctl attached to another filter pro on the dry signal with the sound2ctl controlling the gain of the eq curve

the module is quite versatile, you can adjust the min and max value of the sound2ctl to either gain or cut the signal to the peak volume, and you can also isolate the compressed part to monitor it

hope you find it useful
Last edited by AutumnCheney on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

correction: it's a gate, not a vanilla compressor that goes into the sound2ctl. also i updated the module to monitor the gate output
Last edited by AutumnCheney on Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

hopefully one last update; should be more intuitive to use now (especially if you've used a commercial dynamic eq)

the min and max gain sliders have been replaced with one single knob that controls the max gain, and there is now a second filter for pregain
Attachments
ACheney Dynamic EQ.sunsynth
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

leondustar

Post by leondustar »

thanks! playing with it right now