hard sync

AutumnCheney

hard sync

Post by AutumnCheney »

yesterday, i was able to devise a method to impliment hard sync in sunvox, and i've decided to share it with everyone here! :friends:

essentially, hard sync works by restarting one oscillator (the "slave") when a second oscillator (the "master") completes one cycle, regardless of the phase of the slave osc. i was able to make a master osc using a arppeggiator metamodule with some phase reset commands in a pattern and a bunch of multictls that converts incoming hz commands into bpm values.

the hard sync module allows you to use any other sound-generating module as a slave. to use it, just create a route from the hard sync module to your sound source and play it like a multisynth. the incoming note commands will set the pitch of both the master and slave, but you can transpose the slave using the "slave transpose" and "slave finetune" controllers. you can also glide the slave and bend its pitch in real time, which creates a cool effect when controlled by automation or an lfo. lastly, you can adjust the master's response to new incoming pitches using the "master response" controller. due to the multictl's limitations, the master can only go up to around note G8, which should be more than enough for most melodies.

however, i recommend setting your sound-generating module's "polyphony" and "attack" controllers to 1 and 0, respectively; since this module is retriggering the slave very quickly, a polyphonic synth will create phasing, and a high attack envelope will be unable to finish, making the sound very quiet. in my opinion, the analog generator is the best module to use because of its "true attack/release" setting, but you can use any other module.

understandably, this method is kind of rough, especially due to some of the modules' limitations, but until hard sync is actually implimented, this is the best that can be done.

i have included two example projects. the first demonstrates simply bending the slave's pitch while using a static master pitch. be sure to watch the analog generator's oscilloscope to see what this does. the second example demonstrates using hard sync in a melodic context by playing the master and slave oscillators.
Attachments
AutumnC Hard Sync.sunsynth
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
hard-sync-example.sunvox
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
hard-sync-example-2.sunvox
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!