Looking for a nudge playback command

mackemint

Looking for a nudge playback command

Post by mackemint »

I'm very excited about the sync feature in 1.9.5!
However, the devices I use Sunvox with are a bit on the sluggish side and I have to set the buffer size quite high to get decent performance.
Since Sunvox can't send MIDI clock, is there any way to nudge the playback?
If I slave Sunvox to another machine, Sunvox will start with a delayed offset.
The quick n dirty way I've been doing it is to not receive MIDI clock, then adjust the playback speed of the master device until they match up. Works pretty well I guess, but could be better.

Any suggestions?
Keres

Re: Looking for a nudge playback command

Post by Keres »

the delay module. i have a midi sync issue on a galaxy tab. it has a stable 60ms lag to all other devices. before the master output i put a delay of the appropriate length to compensate for one bar of the tune. its a little funkey, but i have basicaly only used it to meta-compose a quick line for live gear setups.
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

Interesting, do you mean that you put a delay that offsets Sunvoxes output a whole bar so that it matches the other gear?

Right now I'm going for starting SunVox without sync with the tempo 1 BPM higher than the other gear. When they match up, i set sync to On in Sunvox. ^_^'
Keres

Post by Keres »

It's not a whole bar, it's just 60ms minus whatever the milliseconds of a bar at YOUR specific BPM. plus, you have to remember that the latency has to be analyzed first. I know my latency was supposed to be 60ms with little or no "jitter" because of internet research on my specific hardware. you have to know what that is by analyzing it yourself... helps to look it up. https://juce.com/maq

honestly, if you are looking for realtime with sunvox, you are looking at an iPhone or a linux PC.
Keres

Post by Keres »

oh, but basically... you just put down a delay and use it as the master output. set it to milliseconds, mono (the stereo channel is affected as one channel through the left settings). turn off the dry, and play with it untill it catches up with your hardware. this is a way you can "nudge" the playback.