Amplitude Flattening

Keres

Amplitude Flattening

Post by Keres »

Anyone know how to totally flatten the amplitude of a signal without distortion? I know that running it through a distortion will do this, but is there a way to do it while preserving the audio and not causing so much distortion?
Keres

Re: Amplitude Flattening

Post by Keres »

the reason i am asking is that there is a plugin for audacity which basically does just that:

https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqu ... s#Hyperexp

was wondering if there is a simple way to do it with the modulator or amplifiers.
Keres

Post by Keres »

well, trying... don't know how good this procedure is. Hope someone can lend some insight.
Attachments
Keres_AMP-up.sunsynth
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
fuzion_mixer

Post by fuzion_mixer »

Can't seem to download the plugin...maybe I'm just too dumb to know how to...

Anyways, I did up a limiter / "Audacity Gain" in hopes that it does answer to your question.

It has a limiter for both "Within Limit" and "Above Limit" (which is just a 2x ceiling of the former for those looking to experiment with it in some way), and are adjustable with their corresponding MultiCtls.

Unable to save the Controller macros somehow, so just have it set to the Value controller of either "Inversely Proportional" or "Directly Proportional" (or both).

Have fun!
Attachments
fuzion_mixer Audacity Gain.sunvox
(13.1 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

Sounds like a "compander" to me, aka compress the peaks and expand the lows but maybe it does more than the description says.
Completely flattening a signal without any distortion is impossible, there will always be a tradeoff between clipping and the signal mean value which both depend on the response time (attack / decay) and ratio of compression.

I'll check out your patch later, thanks!
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

isn't this just brickwall limiting? you can do this with the compressor module with slope=100% and mode=peak0ms. make the threshold really low, adjust the attack and release to taste, and boost it back up with an amplifier module.
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!