Calculating Sample Length

monoben

Calculating Sample Length

Post by monoben »

Hi guys, you know the sampler? Well is there a way one can calculate how many samples = how many pattern lines? I’d very much like to be able to create a new sample that will take for example 16 lines to complete when played at C5.

Maybe this could be a feature request, to add to “Length (number of samples)” maybe also there could be just simply “Length (number of lines)”?
a1matt

Re: Calculating Sample Length

Post by a1matt »

There are some useful sample calculators on the deepsound website that might help with this.

https://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php

Maybe 'To find notes length in samples with tempo and sampling rate' will get you part of the way there. At least you will know the number of samples you are shooting for.
monoben

Post by monoben »

Wow there are some serious tools on that site. Thanks for this! Now if I can work out the BPM of my project then I’ll be able to work this out. I’m sure I’ve seen a post on here somewhere about calculating BPM...

Thanks again!
Keres

Post by Keres »

When you use the sampler, you can drop the cursor anywhere on the sample and see the offset position in both 9xxx and 7xxxx commands. Go to the sample edit window, click on the position and it will display the offset position in the lower corner.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

how many samples = how many pattern lines?
Line = Sample / ( SampleRate * TPL * 60 / BPM / 24 )
Sample = Line * ( SampleRate * TPL * 60 / BPM / 24 )
SamplesPerLine = SampleRate * TPL * 60 / BPM / 24

SampleRate - base sample rate of the sample, playing a base note (C5 by default)
monoben

Post by monoben »

Thanks NightRadio! This works great. Forever more all my samples will be exactly the correct length.
Keres

Post by Keres »

WOW! cool, thanks Nightradio!

sometimes what i do to make sure a long sample lines up with 2000=25% 4000=50% 6000=75% with the 7xxxx command, is that i load the sample into the sampler, then sync it to the desired BPM in a pattern, then diskwrite only that pattern.