ADSR in the vorbis player

offthesky

ADSR in the vorbis player

Post by offthesky »

attack decay parameters in the vorbis player (or some "prevent start stops clicks" option in the module) would be nice to prevent pops when starting and stopping an ogg.

... or if any of you sunvox builder experts out there might know how i could use the ADSR module to create an attack/decay for the vorbis player that would be excellent! i can get the attack to work fine running the vorbis player through the adsr, but not the release since the vorbis player just cuts off the ogg abruptly from playing when you let off a key. if i add an echo after the vorbis player, i can get the release working okay but not the attack... perhaps there's a way to delay a note off in sunvox? in that case, if i could delay the note off on the vorbis player itself, then the release of the adsr could work okay.

tia!
Last edited by offthesky on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayJaysMusic

Re: Attack Decay in the vorbis player

Post by JayJaysMusic »

I do think Vorbis player has much unused potential, so yeah, I think Vorbis could use ADSR controls. It should also have a loop point selector.
I’m not sure if sample editor or recording could be added, Vorbis is a compressed audio format, so any editing would have to be final.
FFT module did demonstrate that Sunvox can compress audio though.

NightRadio does have on their planner to add OGG exporting to Sunvox.
Last edited by JayJaysMusic on Thu May 26, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayJay
Keres

Post by Keres »

There are all sorts of ways to do this... here are my thoughts on the matter, the problem is that you can simply run it through the ADSR module, but the decay will not work since the note is cut off before it kicks in. So! you can just trigger it separately and keep it going and then let the decay do it's work. at least this is what i would do with bass. This vorbis file is not the best example since there is a click in the loop, but you get he idea.
Attachments
Keres Vorbis Anti-click.sunvox
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

@jajay "being able to export to ogg is planned" - ok thats good to know! even being able to export a seemless loop directly to the vorbis player would be amazing. vp is hella useful for building large live sets without taking up a massive space on our itty old devices so hopefully it gets some upgrades at some point...

@keres tyty for that example- excited to check it out when i can. i too had devised a sort of solution: running the vp -> adsr(for the attack) -> echo -> adsr(handles the release) and a multisynth linked to trig the adsrs and vorbisplayer at the same time but it sadly doesnt work well at all for longer release situations since there needs to be so much delay up front w the echo module to compensate for the rls. heres hoping yours works better than my hacky idea.
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

Keres wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:33 am There are all sorts of ways to do this... here are my thoughts on the matter, the problem is that you can simply run it through the ADSR module, but the decay will not work since the note is cut off before it kicks in. So! you can just trigger it separately and keep it going and then let the decay do it's work. at least this is what i would do with bass. This vorbis file is not the best example since there is a click in the loop, but you get he idea.
ok niice- i really like this solution! seems to also work okay too w polyphony and extending the release to longer values works okay too of course one must wait for the release to end or clicks occur on the next notes.. anyway still this is great ty!