"Overdrive" distortion type

BreadBread

"Overdrive" distortion type

Post by BreadBread »

Out of all the types of distortion in the regular module, from clipping to foldback, one type that's common in a lot of VSTs that isn't in SunVox is the Overdrive type, which is different from things like ACheney's module containing a guitar-pedal-like effect.

Given how common it is in drum-and-bass music, I was surprised to find it's not natively supported yet.

Are there any plans to add this, especially if it turns out to be relatively trivial to code?
burij

Re: "Overdrive" distortion type

Post by burij »

Probably because it's not a specific distortion type. Did you already try to play with waveshaper? Don't forget the symmetrical/non-smetrical switch. And bear in mind, that the input level matters.
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

To get overdrive like soft clipping, it's best to use a waveshaper with a curve that resembles a tanh curve: Image
NOTE: With asymmetry mode enabled, the wave will look like the above picture. With symmetry, it will look like the right half

Or you could just use a curve I've already generated for this, in the attached files below. Just click load on the waveshaper and select the file
(Sorry I had to zip the file otherwise the site wouldn't let me attach it)
Attachments
WS_tanh_SYM.zip
(668 Bytes) Downloaded 84 times
burij

Post by burij »

Thank you SawZer! I got inspired and made an overdrive effect, based on your curve.
Attachments
wsch overdrive.sunsynth
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
Keres

Post by Keres »

its funny, because no matter what the hadware or software is, at a certain point it just doesn't even matter. lol

BECAUSE IT'S DISTORTION!!!
Keres

Post by Keres »

its funny, because no matter what the hadware or software is, at a certain point it just doesn't even matter. lol

BECAUSE IT'S DISTORTION!!!

if you draw a little camel hump on the leftmost part of the red line of the above graph, then hit the "smooth" button in the graph editor in sunvox, you will have a smooth tube distortion, not unlike an old fender marshall amp.