Programmable GUI for Metamodules

Logickin λ

Programmable GUI for Metamodules

Post by Logickin λ »

The 2.0 beta is definitely an awesome update, there is a FMX which provide wide range of sound design possibility; there is the new controller limit for the metamodules which we can able to make some very complex synths.

but, there are 96 sliders...
For experienced SunVox users, we are very happy to have this change; however, new users may get overwhelmed by the number of controls, despite having different colors:

Hence, inspired from Reaktor, I want to suggest an idea for the metamodule - Programmable GUI interface, perhaps something similar to this:

Similar to sampler, the GUI is required to be clicked on the "GUI" button at the bottom of the controller.
Once accessed, a windows is shown up like the sample editing view, but with controllers showing on the screen.

There are all the controls mapped to components like sliders, knobs, buttons, or even xy-pads, to make the module more intuitive to use.
There are oscilloscope, text and some spites as well (similar to the pattern icon editor, but it can be sized or rotated), for button icon, indication, or decoration.

To edit the controller, click the "program mode" button, the component will be unlocked for editing:

Once in the program mode, a list of properties shows, where you can change things like the position, size, controller or limits of the component.
The chosen component will be highlighted like the one in modules.

To set number of pages or groups, click the Hierarchys button at the upper left. A list will be shown, for setting the name, the properties of the pages or groups, or adding new components:

There are adventages for the GUI interface.

The first thing is that, this will provide a more intuitive interface for user who just use it as an AU plugin (or VST version on the future to-do list), which they can program the Metamodule looking like their favorite VST plugin. For example, some users on this community made Juno 60 emulations. If they had the ability to program the GUI to have sliders placement similar to the actual synth, people would get familiar to the controls quickly due to the similar workflow as the actual synth.

Another thing is that, native SunVox users can shape their instruments whatever they want, to let them inspired by having different interfaces. They can also able to make manual out of the box, by using the provided text and spite system for descriptions, meaning that others can learn the module out of the box, without randomly guessing what is the function for the specific controller type or spending lot of time just for finding the correct tutorial for the module (like my epic percussion module, I have to provide the algorithms to my post; otherwise that will be confusing to use due to the keyswitches).

I really hope to see if there will be something similar in SunVox, that would boost the creativity for user for making music.
philipbergwerf

Re: Programmable GUI for Metamodules

Post by philipbergwerf »

I like the idea! How does the programmable gui show readable on a small screen? Maybe it can be a pixilang task to create custom gui?
Logickin λ

Re: Programmable GUI for Metamodules

Post by Logickin λ »

philipbergwerf wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:39 pm I like the idea! How does the programmable gui show readable on a small screen? Maybe it can be a pixilang task to create custom gui?
I do have this question in my head for small screen. I guess there are a few kinds of solutions:

- Create multiple interfaces for different devices (Yes, this is a bad solution, but it works anyway.)
- making the interface able to zoom, so users can move around by using the scroll bar, similar to the one we see from the controller.
- grid based system, like how Bootstrap handles elements. Larger screen have more columns in a grid, while smaller one has less columns where some of the elements can be warpped around.

I do think pixilang (or any type of scripting) is a good use for this application, so we can do some more complicated behaviors for the gui. For example, we can do animation to shows some envelope curves or routing algorithms; or we can set some conditions to manipulate one controller based on the state of another one.