Multisynth Scala Support

AutumnCheney

Re: Multisynth Scala Support

Post by AutumnCheney »

bharris22 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm
Keres wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:33 am
then users could easily change tunings within Sunvox for multiple devices, at once, on the fly, and could also have Sunvox run in tune with other synths that may be running separately in a different DAW.
you can already do that. that is what curve3 is in the multisynth. select open-->enverlope---.multisynth--->curve3 and there you should have several pre-made tuning curves.

if your tuning is not on the list, then make it with the pixilang curve maker script included.
But that won't affect the tuning of synths and other audio programs running outside of Sunvox, will it?
no

but why would you use anything but sunvox :wink:
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
bharris22

Post by bharris22 »

Very true, of course :). But, I should note that the full version of MTS-ESP also includes Novation Launchpad support, so you could play all of those esoteric scales using isomorphic layouts on a grid controller - even in Sunvox!

Plus, MTS-ESP has built-in support for literally thousands of different tunings - not just scales - all of which can be changed and modulated on the fly, while a song is playing, with the press of a single button. I am sure that this is possible in Sunvox natively, but I think it would be fantastic to have this option for those of us who would like to try out different tuning systems but don't necessarily know enough, up front, which ones they will like in order to create a multisynth curve for them.
Keres

Post by Keres »

i know a few composers who purposefully write stuff with inharmonious notes, usually sliding chords or something. most people that know that use those notes do so before they put pen to paper or before it is even decided how they are going to perform/compose it. that is to say... it is in their head first.

now. whenever i have tried to do it... get a melody from my head into any form, the form it goes to never has the limitations of a few cents of tuning... not even old Amiga apps... they always had a way to bend the pitch up or down by a few cents.

basically, what i am saying is that i don't see why this is even a thing.

i mean, do you guys only write Maccabees?
Keres

Post by Keres »

Macabre or however (never actually tried to spell that tuning style but...)
bharris22

Post by bharris22 »

Keres wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:36 am i know a few composers who purposefully write stuff with inharmonious notes, usually sliding chords or something. most people that know that use those notes do so before they put pen to paper or before it is even decided how they are going to perform/compose it. that is to say... it is in their head first.

now. whenever i have tried to do it... get a melody from my head into any form, the form it goes to never has the limitations of a few cents of tuning... not even old Amiga apps... they always had a way to bend the pitch up or down by a few cents.

basically, what i am saying is that i don't see why this is even a thing.

i mean, do you guys only write Maccabees?
I am excited for MTS-ESP for precisely the opposite reason. I prefer to write something - a melody, for example, or a chord progression - and then cycle through different tuning systems to hear how that ordinary melody or progression changes into something I have never heard before. I don't know what I don't know, so can't write these in different tuning systems before I hear them :).
Keres

Post by Keres »

again, there is a graph... curve #3 where X=pitch and Y=pitch. you can play with it while listening to your melody or chord progression.

as for Scala, there is already a script that can translate a scala tuning to a multisynth curve. please search the msg board and you will find it.
bharris22

Post by bharris22 »

Keres wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:41 am again, there is a graph... curve #3 where X=pitch and Y=pitch. you can play with it while listening to your melody or chord progression.

as for Scala, there is already a script that can translate a scala tuning to a multisynth curve. please search the msg board and you will find it.
Again, no need for either of these :). MTS-ESP allows me to play around with established tunings, in real time, and produce results that can be replicated easily in other DAWs or synths outside of Sunvox. The method you describe in the first part sounds like I would be selecting individual frequencies totally at random without any reference to established tunings, while the Scala script conversion method you describe in the second part is simply much less elegant and much more labor-intensive than using MTS-ESP. Moreover, I don't know which scala tunings I would be interested in, and should convert, until I hear them. It's a chicken and egg problem.

I can already use the full/paid version of MTS-ESP with Sunvox by inserting the MTS-ESP VST client and sending midi out of the other DAW into Sunvox using LoopBe. My request here is for the inclusion of (apparently) a few lines of code that would permit Sunvox to be used natively with the free version of MTS-ESP (called MTS-ESP Mini), which would change tunings based on the master without any additional midi routing - the master just "senses" the presence of the client (which would be Sunvox here) and adjusts the tuning of the client automatically. If that doesn't interest you, that's fine, but it interests me and, I assume based on this thread, others as well. Horses for courses :).

I encourage anyone here who is interested in microtunings to try the free version of MTS-ESP in another DAW with one of the several free VST instruments that have native capability built in - for example, Surge or any of the u-he synths. I think you would like it.