Generator / Analog Generator: retain phase between new notes

geckojsc

Generator / Analog Generator: retain phase between new notes

Post by geckojsc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:37 am

Hey, just a quick suggestion for the various generators:

It's common to create a unison effect by detuning two oscillators. The Analog Generator even has this as a built-in feature.

However, the two oscillators always reset their phase between notes, leading to instruments that sound very repetitive and artificial.

Here's an example with two multisynths (4 osc) to demonstrate the undesirable effect.

Phase Reset Example

It's possible to avoid this by setting velocity to zero and using a very fast glide for every single note, or by other methods such as using vibrato in parallel with the main signal, to produce a chorus effect. However these methods require extra work, and/or don't sound quite the same as what I had in mind.

Phase Retain Example (using glide & velocity toggles)

What I propose is a switch for the Analog Generator (at least), which would cause the phase of the oscillators to be stored and remembered even after the note has stopped playing. Perhaps the switch could be placed alongside the other extra options such as freq/volume scaling per key, because it is unlikely that anyone would want to change this with commands during playback.

If it proves problematic to implement, maybe instead there could just be an option to randomise the phase?

What do people think?

NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Generator / Analog Generator: retain phase between new notes

Post by NightRadio » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:07 pm

I agree we need this feature!
It will be implemented in the next update (new options "Retain phase" and "Random phase")

iaon

Re: Generator / Analog Generator: retain phase between new notes

Post by iaon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Nice...