PM Pro module

Koekepan

PM Pro module

Post by Koekepan »

OK, it could be FM Pro too, but ...

The current FM module has a lot of potential, and makes great sounds, but it would be nice to have something like an eight operator, variable program FM sound source, with continuous variation of relative operator frequencies, and variable available operator waveforms.

I do realise that the generator modules are very powerful that way as well, and meet most of my criteria, but until we can use them in a round robin sort of way, they're a real pain to set up for polyphony.
gigi

Re: PM Pro module

Post by gigi »

+1
Dalle

Post by Dalle »

Multiple operators, each would have a page like SpectraVoice harmonics, with controls for level, tuning, envelope, panning, multiple waveforms... Lots of algorithms... Imagine the possibilities! :%)
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

The best solution would probably be to simply get that round-robin option for multisynth, in retrospect. With generators modulating each other, you can have as many as you want, modified any way you like - it would be like a huge modulation synth with effects between the operators. Just right now, it's a pain to make it anything more than monophonic.
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

+1

Here are my questions, though. What do you think would be the best way to go about implementing algorithms for N amount of operators?

A more advanced FM synth has been in people's wishlists for years now. The Frequency Modulation (formerly Phase Modulation) parameter in the generator has been Nightradio's answer to this (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's a good answer despite the loss of being able to change operator tunings. I personally think the parameter should have stayed under its former name, but that's just me.

Anyways, would it really be ok to place different operators into pages with their own settings and then slap a matrix grid onto the bottom of the FM synth?

That's basically something like FM8 in a module... Will we be able to apply atleast general FM8 tutorials (not using some super special unique exclusive feature) to it?
I imagine it'd be awhile before anyone started making SunVox specific FM Pro tutorials of any kind. There's a lot of sound to get lost in easily.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

With N amount of operators, I'd just use lots of generators, with amplifiers, distortion modules and so on in between.

Then for polyphony, I'd put those in a metamodule, and make a series of copies for the metamodule and put them all under a round-robin configured multisynth.