Multisynth development

Koekepan

Multisynth development

Post by Koekepan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Request:
allow a round robin function which, instead of firing all connected synths at once, fires one at a time in sequence, or perhaps in random sequence.

Reason:
sometimes sound design leads me to a situation where I want polyphony, but a very clean sound formation chain without successive or parallel notes interfering with each other's generation. It would be easy to put that chain in a metamodule, and then produce a dozen or so such metamodules. However, sharing out the notes played among all those metamodules is a pain and it would be easier to do automatically.

Alternative:
While I think that it's a logical development of the multisynth, I see no reason that it couldn't be a separate module type, perhaps with additional humanisation functions to add some slight variation to execution.

Koekepan

Re: Multisynth development

Post by Koekepan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 am

Since it looks as if Sunvox 1.9 is on the horizon, I would like to bump this feature request because just today I was wrestling with the following problem:

I want to create a sound which is velocity sensitive - but where parallel notes playing do not affect each other's effect chains.

In principle it's easy - just create 8 versions of the same generator and effect chain, and use them in turn - but in practice it's a pain.

It would be a lot easier to create 8 versions of the same generator, and then have the multisynth round-robin between them so that we have true polyphony at the generation stage rather than the sort of paraphony we currently have.

Koekepan

Post by Koekepan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:30 am

In the hopes that you have time to work on this, I would like to bump this one again. It doesn't have to be in Multisynth, you could make a new module type called PolyRobin or whatever, but again I wanted it.

The scenario:

I've been using the modulator module, and it works nicely, but the moment you start driving more sounds to it, it becomes very hard to control. Keeping each instance of a modulator to itself, and independently used, would be very valuable for clean, controllable sounds.

I pretty much guarantee this is one module type I would use all the time. If you're looking for good plans for sunvox 2.0, I hope this one makes the cut.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Ok, i understand.
But would not it be easier to add the "super-polyphony" parameter to the MetaModule?
For example, if i set this controller to 4, i will get four internal copies of the SunVox engine inside of the MetaModule.
Anyway, the MultiSynth with different "firing" modes will be useful too

Koekepan

Post by Koekepan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 pm

I am perfectly fine with doing this at the metamodule level, if that is what makes the programming the most elegant.

If the easiest would be to add a different module type (The Polyphonator!) then that's fine too. Such a module might have firing options which include random, round-robin, tutti, auto-arp. Really, I'm just speculating and at least the auto-arp would make more sense (in my head) inside a metamodule; the others feel more multisynthy to me, but again it all depends on how the code can be elegant.

I'm really glad that you're considering this. Sunvox is already such a hugely rich sound platform that it almost seems ungrateful to ask for anything more, but very occasionally, as I dive deeper, I find more things I want.

I hope that you enjoy this:

http://jankoekepan.bandcamp.com/track/t ... ating-call

That was all done in the 1.9 Beta, using feedback loops for the organic sounding noises. It worked so well, people asked me what I sampled.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 am

Ok! :)
The music is cool! Thank you.
Can you create something for the compo? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3804

Koekepan

Post by Koekepan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:07 pm

I am already at the mastering stage on an entry. It's not very sonically adventurous, but if you like I can try to add a second entry with more weird sonic sculpting.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 pm

That would be great!