Trying to write an .opm to .sunsynth (FMX) converter

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
CoryCulley

Trying to write an .opm to .sunsynth (FMX) converter

Post by CoryCulley »

I would like to write a program that converts to FMX .sunsynth files from .opm files (these are voice presets that are meant for YM2151 but are also mostly compatible with YM2612 - there are thousands of Sega Gen/MD presets from many games that have been converted to .opm)

So I'm trying to understand the CVAL chunks in the FMX module. I can see in a hex editor that a good number of these are consistent with the corresponding hex value seen in the module controller page (in Sunvox). However, some of them are very different values. Is anyone knowledgeable enough to help explain the file format a little better? Looks like Radiant Voices is outdated and I'm not sure that libSunvox or Pixilang is up to the task.

Also, I'm aware that the synthesis algorithms between those soundchips and FMX is not exactly the same. The hope is that I'll be able to approximate the conversion as best as possible.
CoryCulley

Re: Trying to write an .opm to .sunsynth (FMX) converter

Post by CoryCulley »

So after doing further research I've found that I was wrong about a few things. Anyways I was able to use PixiLang to dump the controller information I needed, and it also looks like PixiLang should work great for this task.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

this is a cool project, let us know in case of updates.
Loading .opm could save lots of work vs creating a fmx sound from scratch.
CHEEZ2600

Post by CHEEZ2600 »

leondustar wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:59 pm this is a cool project, let us know in case of updates.
Loading .opm could save lots of work vs creating a fmx sound from scratch.
Not sure what *.opm is, but I agree that loading some form of preset would be nice; though there are metamodules that use FMX already and stuff.
Still learning...
CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

I've updated this project here.
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 964#p22964

.opm files are plaintext parameter presets for YM2151 and by compatibility YM2612 FM soundchips. Archives of these can be found via the internet. Some conversions turn out well, others may need to be manually adjusted to get them right.