sunvox with Beatstep Pro

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
kainxkitsune

sunvox with Beatstep Pro

Post by kainxkitsune »

Hi all! I have loved sunvox for a long time but this is my first time posting here. So I got a beatstep pro a few days ago. it has two sequencers and a drum sequencer set to midi channels 1, 2 , and 10. in sunvox under midi settings I have the beatstep listed three times set to those midi channels. I then assigned keys 1 to midi channel 1 and always and it works fine. but setting keys 2 and the drum synth to channels 2 and 10 and always netither of those do anything. now when I try to send a note on midi channels 2 and 10 I see a small green square just like with midi channel 1 so it seems like its getting the midi data in. but I am not sure what to do to get keys 2 and the drum synth to respond like keys 1 does.

I hope this all makes sense.
nrm

Re: sunvox with Beatstep Pro

Post by nrm »

Hi !
I have a beatstep pro too so I may be able to help you. The seq 1 and seq 2 are easy to plug, the drum is a little different and you'll probably have to go in the arturia settings to set things up. I dont remember exactly what I changed excepted the notes sent by the pad.

Let start:

Preferences:
  • You have to go in the MIDI panel to tell sunvox to use your controller and that you want to listen all the channels.
  • There's a list of inputs here with the channel to the right (Ch), you want it to Any.
  • You can also change Mod.preview channel if you want to use your controller for preview, when you are selecting a synth or a sample in the load menu.
  • Warning: listening to all the channels means that the instrument modules you select/focus will receive events from all the sequencers of the beatstep at the same time. You can avoid that by setting "MIDI IN" to never in your the module properties of the instruments. That means your module will play only the events received by another module, not your machine. And thats why we are making a module for your machine.
settings.png
settings.png (19.77 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

Making modules that represents your machine:

In this we're creating a module for each parts of the beatstep, you'll be able to link it to your instrument modules to play with it.
  • you need to create a new MultiSynth
  • then you have to edit module properties
  • change MIDI IN: to always and the channel Ch to the channel of the part (seq1/seq2/drum)
  • that is it for this part, now you just have to link that module to an instrument and it will play
  • don't hesitate to change the module color to look like the color on the machine, it helps a little
module.png
module.png (22.71 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

Syncing:
  • first make sure you the Sync source in your midi settings points to your controller
  • when you create a project you have to setup Sync in your Project settings
  • in the "Receive sync cmds from MIDI" you can enable all of them if you want
sync.png
sync.png (26.87 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

Conclusion:
Thats about all you need to be comfortable with the beatstep, note that this is the way I did it and it may not be how you you want to use it, it should get you started but dont hesitate to go your own way.

There's two things I didnt tell about because it took me far too long to make this post: first, there's a way to have one instrument per drum pad with mutlisynth and second, the control mode, you can use midi learn to bind your pots to settings, and you can even go further with multiCtl. If you need more about that I'll find some time to make another post to elaborate on that.

Have fun :crazy: