Where can I learn SunVox sound design?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
dennisw

Where can I learn SunVox sound design?

Post by dennisw »

I downloaded lot of SunVox project files, and many of these uses different type of sounds without using actual instrument samples. I don't understand how this works. So I need for video tutorials.
AutumnCheney

Re: Where can I learn SunVox sound design?

Post by AutumnCheney »

uuh maybe i'll make some videos at some point

but you can always just watch general sound design videos and apply them to sunvox
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
dennisw

Post by dennisw »

Thank you.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

+1 for software agnostic tutorials. Ableton have a nice intro to synthesis tutorial online.

The 'simple examples' folder, are much easier to reverse engineer than full project songs. Between those and the manual you can build the familiarity needed to apply the tutorials.

Load the included instruments and tweak them, just play and explore the controllers.

Starting with samples and working in synthesis bit by bit as you progress can help you to not feel held back from making music in the early stages of learning synthesis.
Keres

Post by Keres »

Many of the people contributing to Sunvox, through competition tunes or instrument submissions, have prior experience with other sound workstations and environments. This may seem obvious to someone who is new to the scene so let me say that Sunvox itself will be an AWESOME starting place for someone new to sound design. I mean, you really want to learn on an old Ensoniq EPS 12?

this is a private video i made for a friend who is always asking me for samples:

There are other sound design video producers out there using sunvox, check out Pavel Ti on youtube.

Another thing to realize is that there is no one way to implement sound design. if it makes a good sound, and it is an efficient way of doing it, then that's all you need. It's just a matter of hooking stuff up, seeing how it works, and playing with it in real-time until you make something you like.
ShockWave

Post by ShockWave »

AutumnCheney wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:08 am uuh maybe i'll make some videos at some point

but you can always just watch general sound design videos and apply them to sunvox
This is what i do.
Also just doing a lot of experimentation and studying how other ppl did it in the examples helps a lot as well.

What also helps is giving yourself extreme limitations when making a song focusing on one aspect you want to learn. Personally I learnt the most by doing things like making a song with the default template and trying to make it work with a module limit or making a song with only 4 instruments.
I find that it makes things a lot less overwhelming when starting off and it allows you to focus on a specific skill you want to learn.
burij

Post by burij »

I also noticed a lack of a specific kind of video tutorials for Sunvox, I'm used from other synths and daws. I appreciate work of others, there are some good tutorials, but not for the level, I would need. So I'm planning a project, which explains more advanced production workflows and Sunvox specific approaches, but we'll, yeah, time is always an issue....
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
eufex

Post by eufex »

Also don’t forget that along with all the various synth/oscillator modules you have a powerful sampler, don’t think everything has to generated live from oscillators and built synths. Building small architectures to create sounds and then resampling them will give you almost infinite sound creation possibilities.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I'd be happy to put together a couple of HOWTO videos for people who are curious.

Why not list a few questions here? It's easier to answer specific questions, rather than a sort of open-ended "How do I sound design?" thing.

Also, for the more general workflow stuff, burij, could you explain what you're hoping for?
burij

Post by burij »

@Koekepan, sure! I think it's always very interesting and inspiring to see, how people are actually organising different aspects of their producing: default project templates, librarys, how the automations are handled, systems for organising patterns in the timeline etc. Basically steps, how you get from blank project to ready track. I have my system, but it's always in development and I love to watch, how other people do that. There is a lot of this staff for Ableton and FL, but for sunvox things are always pretty basic. Only explaining, how to do basic patches, but not, how to produce a track only with sunvox. And people are asking some aspects of it a lot. I really would like to do a series, but never find a time for this.
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

https://files.catbox.moe/gu9k1g.m4v

Sorry it's so long, but to show the logic of track creation in sunvox takes a bit of time. I had to cut the resolution down a little to make the file a sane size, but basically if you know sunvox, you can figure out exactly what I'm doing. I added titles to the video to highlight the important factors. Feel free to ask questions.

I will say that it's hard to separate the logic of different functions, such as sound design and arrangement, because of how sunvox makes it easy to gain benefits from really blending them. If you embrace the sunvox way, then the lines get pretty fuzzy.

I hope that you like it.
burij

Post by burij »

I do like it a lot! That's exactly the genre I meant. You putting it on YouTube? I think, this is the staff, which can motivate people to try sunvox. It's also very inspiring. I'm going to try something similar, in the process of figuring out good setup.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I don't actually have a youtube account. As far as I'm concerned, Alphabet and all its corporate properties can generally go to a desert and hug a cobra.

However, if you feel motivated to put it on youtube, I hereby grant you permission. Consider it a public gift.
burij

Post by burij »

Yeah, sorry for assuming. Totally see and respect Your point about google.
andy79

Post by andy79 »

@Koekepan, thanks a lot, this is well paced and informative, appreciate the time put in. Aside Alexander's efforts to promote the features of sunvox, I also feel comprehensive walkthrough videos like yours are a bit missing.

Could you share the higher res version for download?