i'm ttotaly blind Reaching out regarding making Sun Vox accessible to totally blind users, please help can you help?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
soundwarrior20

i'm ttotaly blind Reaching out regarding making Sun Vox accessible to totally blind users, please help can you help?

Post by soundwarrior20 »

Hi everyone hope you're doing well and staying safe. I'm trey From the UK, I'm totally blind and I make electronic music Using a combination of reaper on macOS Monterey with the VoiceOver screenreader hardware synthesisers a modular synthesiser and hardware step sequencer. I've read about sunvox Over the years and thought it would be cool to use. I am wondering if some people would be able to get together to help Make it accessible to totally blind users as I have no coding experience myself I'm looking for people to assist with this project. I have a couple of questions, how open is the API? And what programming language is it written in? I have a couple of thoughts about how accessibility would be achieved But I'm really looking for people to help me with this I think this would be an awesome thing for blind people to be able to use to make music. If anybody can help please private message me or comment in the thread here thank you very much for reading everyone I look forward to hearing from you :-)
Sotakebk

Re: i'm ttotaly blind Reaching out regarding making Sun Vox accessible to totally blind users, please help can you help

Post by Sotakebk »

The library and API are both in C. Very approachable once you understand a few ideas about the underlying engine. Unfortunately, it's not a 1:1 match of the graphic UI functionality yet, there are some things missing, but it's in the details now, you can live without access to module settings and some other details.

What kind of interface do you think is possible? A CLI would be doable, but really unwieldy, and with braille terminals there would be limitations regarding reading/writing the patterns? There are also drawing capabilities for a few modules, which would need to be properly conveyed via touch, and I can't imagine any way to do that at the moment (sad face)
jugger

Re: i'm ttotaly blind Reaching out regarding making Sun Vox accessible to totally blind users, please help can you help

Post by jugger »

A bit off topic, but another tracker that I know of being used by several blind people is openMPT. AFAIK its interface works pretty well with screen readers. It’s Windows only, though works fine via Wine but not sure how well the screenreaders would work when used with Mac. Might be worth trying anyways if you already haven’t.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

OK, I've been thinking over this one for a while, and I think that I can see how it could theoretically happen.

It would have to rely on hover-reports, and feedback tones when crossing boundaries.

Scenario: the pointer sweeps across the screen, starting with parameters. Every time it crosses to a new parameter it (perhaps with a delay) reports the parameter name and status. Then there's a marker tone to announce that it moved to the module segment, and yet another when it moves onto a module, reporting its name, type, number and connections.

Thoughts?