SunVox 2.1 BETA

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox 2.1 BETA

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox 2.1 BETA2 is ready for testing!
https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox-2.1-beta2.zip
(test versions for Windows, Linux, macOS)
The final version with support for all systems will be released soon.

What is new:

BETA2:
  • hi-res fonts and fractional scaling can now be disabled in Preferences -> Interface -> Fonts;
  • new pattern effect (column EE): 35 - bind MIDI OUT message XX (0 - Program Change; 1 - Channel Pressure; 2 - Pitch Bend Change) to controller YY (0 - OFF; 0x80 - MIDI controller 0; 0x81 - MIDI controller 1...); for the specified module only;
  • new special pattern command: "XX" - stop the module, clear its internal buffers and put it into standby mode;
  • musical keyboard settings: Row shift is now in semitones (instead of octaves);
  • bug fixes.
BETA1:
  • high resolution icons;
  • high resolution fonts with fractional scaling (only in OpenGL version, including iOS, Android, macOS, Windows and Linux);
  • sound engine optimization;
  • Distortion: new type "saturation" (adding odd harmonics) + five of its variations;
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = random" (three different algorithms are available);
  • Loop: new controller "Length unit" (line/128;line;line/2;line/3;tick;ms;Hz);
  • Loop: new controller "Maximum buffer size" (in seconds) to protect against allocating too much memory;
  • Loop: the maximum of the "Repeat" controller has been increased to 128 (128 = repeat endlessly);
  • new curve types for ADSR and FMX modules: rect; smooth rect; 2-bit (linear); 3-bit; 4-bit; 5-bit;
  • module editor menu: new function "Mute/Solo buttons" to show/hide the Bypass/Mute/Solo buttons under each module;
  • musical keyboard: the new panel with additional functions and settings; to open it - increase the height of the keyboard and press the appeared "+" button;
  • musical keyboard settings: type (classic, uniform, free (any frequency)), number of rows, key width, color inversion, autorepeat;
  • new way to edit a pattern - drawing with a brush; go the pattern editor menu and select "Draw" - this will open the pattern drawing tools;
  • for a more detailed description of working with a brush, see changelog_details.txt
  • new features in the pattern editor menu: Copy to brush; Reverse; Draw (open pattern drawing tools);
  • Preferences -> Timeline: new option "Hexadecimal track numbers";
  • Preferences -> Toolbars: the buttons on the horizontal dividers can be customized here; see changelog_details.txt
  • pattern editor menu -> Remap: module number -1 = all modules;
  • more detailed pattern names after the live recording;
  • new keyboard shortcuts (unassigned by default) that open the corresponding tool windows in the pattern editor:
    • interpolate;
    • transpose;
    • cyclic shift;
    • set effect;
    • draw;
  • new keyboard shortcuts (unassigned by default) for the pattern editor:
    • clear pattern;
    • shrink pattern /2;
    • expand pattern *2;
    • slice by cursor;
    • reverse;
    • pattern properties;
    • show/hide CCEEXXYY columns;
    • scale;
  • new keyboard shortcuts for working with the brush:
    • CTRL+E - play current note (in the pattern editor) and copy it to the brush;
    • CTRL+L - play the notes of the current line (in the pattern editor) and copy it to the brush;
    • play the 1st line of the brush (unassigned by default);
    • сopy selected area of the pattern to the brush (unassigned by default);
    • CTRL+G - paste from the brush;
  • new modules in the instruments/ and effects/ folders;
  • new examples:
    • SunVox Compo 2022.02 winners: fuzion_mixer & Logickin - Synthonic Voyage, RobloxFan75000 - Hypermatic, PhilipBergwerf - We want Peace;
    • NightRadio - Cycles of Light;
  • updated version of SunVox library for developers (will be released soon);
  • bug fixes;
  • something else in the final version...

maks

Re: SunVox 2.1 BETA

Post by maks »

Woohoo, that's fantastic!
Thanks for all your hard work on this Alexander!
Can't wait to use the new version of libsunvox too once it's released.
r3l1c

Post by r3l1c »

lots and lots of amazing stuff ... dunno how you keep improving at a pace like that , but sounds like magic :)
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Thank you very much. Downloading and testing now.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

As for the new font scaling algorithm, it can be completely or partially disabled using the following options in sunvox_config.ini:
no_font_upscale //don't use font upscaling algorithm (OpenGL only)
int_font_scaling 1 //enable integer font scaling (default in software rendering mode)
int_font_scaling 0 //disable integer font scaling (default in OpenGL rendering mode)
Madrayken

Post by Madrayken »

Thanks so much for all your hard work. SunVox is my Desert Island app, and I’m so glad it keeps on getting better!
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Silly question:

If I open drawing mode, and I draw in a modulation for something. Say, Volume. Then I keep having this graph down my track, even after I've closed the drawing menu.

How could I make that go away? Is there an option that I'm missing?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Then I keep having this graph down my track, even after I've closed the drawing menu.
You should press the mode button again to disable it.
Perhaps we need to auto turn off the drawing mode immediately after closing the window?..
Keres

Post by Keres »

YAY!
amazing features!
thanks Alexander!

it's gonna take me some time to get my head around some of these new features, although i still don't have my head together with many of the old features!

the new features of the loop module sure save a lot of time, i love the buffer control.

the new keyboard is just nuts!

thanks again! :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:
andy79

Post by andy79 »

Thanks for keeping upgrading this great software.

KeyboardSettings->RowShift can be done by semitones too instead of just octaves? This would allow for isomorphic layout.

Any plans for: loop record/overdub into existing/fixed size pattern in a next 2.x version? Or it's too complicated?
Also non linear pattern play alternative with pattern triggering like Ableton or Bitwig, etc. woud make Sunvox much easier to create in (together with the live record option during play).
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

KeyboardSettings->RowShift can be done by semitones too instead of just octaves?
Only octaves in the current version

Any plans for: loop record/overdub into existing/fixed size pattern in a next 2.x version? Or it's too complicated?
Also non linear pattern play alternative with pattern triggering like Ableton or Bitwig, etc. woud make Sunvox much easier to create in (together with the live record option during play).
Yes, I have such plans :) But I can't say for sure when it will be implemented.
andy79

Post by andy79 »

NightRadio wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 pm Yes, I have such plans :) But I can't say for sure when it will be implemented.
Well, great to know this! Won't bug the forum with it anymore, then :) , will wait patiently.
iaon

Post by iaon »

The saturation is a great addition, I want to push it further than the Power slider allows, but of course you can do this with an Amplifier before the Distortion module.

Maybe the eraser could erase a line by clicking the line number.

The click-to-play button in the Pattern drawing tools can't seem to play SP notes?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The click-to-play button in the Pattern drawing tools can't seem to play SP notes?
It is a bug of beta1 :) Will be fixed