Help needed with an FMX feature

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
eufex

Help needed with an FMX feature

Post by eufex »

Hi
I’m trying to load some custom waveforms into FMX so I can replicate some sounds from another FM synth rather than controlling it with midi (Yamaha type waveforms).
So far I’m not able to get anything into the custom wave form.
I’ve recorded the waveforms, so to play them I’m loading them into a SunVox sampler which is patched into FMX.
I’m trying to load the waveform into operator 5 so have parameter 6 input set to operator 5, I have parameter 7 set to single cycle and I have parameter 4f set to custom. I then play a note via the sampler and then see if anything is sampled into FMx: nothing.
I’ve also tried playing both the sampler and fmx at the same time with a multisynth, again nothing emits from FM4 when a note is played into it.
The overall routing seems correct however because if I set the fmx input to continuous and then hit the multisynth with a note there is indeed a garbled sample emitted from fmx.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thx
johan_s

Re: Help needed with an FMX feature

Post by johan_s »

in fmx try setting the custom waveform to “continuous” (parameter 07) and set the sampler to loop or sustain.. you might have to play with loop length too and may need to accordingly open/adjust the envelope in the sampler as well. Maybe the issue also has to do with the pitch/relative note of your samples.
Last edited by johan_s on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Here’s a rough test of the module chain for custom waveforms with FMX. Pitching things properly and avoiding clicks is something that might need some extra attention.

Edit: oops, I misread what you were trying to do with cycles.. I’ll keep this quick and rough patch here anyway. you can draw the waveform in the sampler.
Last edited by johan_s on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eufex

Post by eufex »

Hi Johan

Thanks but you’re trying to solve an issue which isn’t the one I’m trying to address.

I’ve got it working in continuous, my post says that I have (last paragraph), the garbled output is someone else mentioned back when FMX first came out and Nightradio answered the questioner and said it was ok in its operation.

I’m trying to use it in cycle mode where it is supposed to capture a single cycle of a waveform and store it in FMX. Once that waveform is in FMX you should be able to disconnect everything from the input of FMX and the waveform should be stored inside FMX. Continuous is for live fM, either for chaining FMXs together or for FMing samples etc.

Cheers
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Sorry, loading custom waveforms is too complicated in FMX...
I promise to add the LOAD button in the updates :)

How to load it now:
(see the attached project file)
1) create a WAV with two cycles of the waveform, 10ms each; so total file length must be 20ms (10+10);
2) load it to the Sampler and connect the Sampler to FMX;
3) set FMX waveform to "custom" in some operators;
4) create a pattern with the following algorithm:
> set FMX.07 to 0
> set FMX.07 to 1 (single cycle waveform) AND play C5 on the Sampler
> set FMX.07 to 0
5) play the pattern.
Attachments
fmx_custom_waveform.zip
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
eufex

Post by eufex »

Thanks Alex

That’s kind of what I was doing but not with a pattern, I was just hitting everything manually. I didn’t know about the sample having to be 2 cycles etc. I was just playing it straight in from the sampler. I’ll give it a go with the pattern trigger etc.

So it has to be 1khz. Ok, That will take some translation on the samples I’ve captured as 1khz doesn’t = a standard musical pitch they’ll need a little pitch shifting in Audacity first. I think C6 is around 1khz but it’s not an exact number. iOS users are going to have difficulty being able to do that but I realise this isn’t a feature that’s going to have millions of people using it.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

figured i'd add to this:

so, in sunvox, 100hz (10ms) is about note g2 with +94/256 detune. so, we can use a multisynth with the "use static note c5" controller on and set to output this pitch to allow any waveform from the generators or sampler to be used as a custom waveform in the fmx (as long as said waveform is tuned to c5)

i've attached an example :)
Attachments
analog-gen-to-fmx.sunvox
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
eufex

Post by eufex »

Cool.

Yes, 100hz, not 1khz (1/(10/1000)) I did the calc in my head and missed a zero, which isn’t very good 😊
burij

Post by burij »

AutumnCheney wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am figured i'd add to this:

so, in sunvox, 100hz (10ms) is about note g2 with +94/256 detune. so, we can use a multisynth with the "use static note c5" controller on and set to output this pitch to allow any waveform from the generators or sampler to be used as a custom waveform in the fmx (as long as said waveform is tuned to c5)

i've attached an example :)
Genius and so helpful, thank you very much!
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

AutumnCheney wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am figured i'd add to this:

so, in sunvox, 100hz (10ms) is about note g2 with +94/256 detune.
Thanks for finding the tuning so that it is easier to let others to sampling their sound into the FMX, and your rule of thumb has sparked me two questions and a solution, during adding functionality for OP blocks:
It works great for most of the sound, but... what happened if someone randomly draw a sample inside a sampler, or chopping a random sample into a wavefrom that is not aligned to the standard tuning?
How to automate the task so that we can do that by flicking a switch?
Since we have feedback modules, that means we can do some kind of feedback system, gradually tuning the sample into the correct pitch by checking the tuning of the module using pitch detector, calculating the pitch difference using pitch2ctl, regulate the pitch using glide. Desirably, we can lock the tuning after it has reached the equilibrium so that we can squarely flicking the FMX for sampling the incoming waveform.

I started with a reference sine source, clocked at 100Hz. The sine source point to a pitch detector, converting the audio signal into midi, detected by a pitch2ctl that output a CV signal by controlling the fine volume, likewise to the input signal but with the amplifier that controls the CV inverted. By subtracting two signal paths, we can find the pitch difference between the reference and the source, to see whether the pitch should goes up or down.

Because the tuning process can't be done in one go due to the precision of moving pitches of the glide modules, the difference is accumulated with a delay module so that the tuning process will never stop until the pitch difference approaches to 0.

Thus, here we go:
FMX Custom Waveform Tuner.sunsynth
(18.78 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
This the a prototype of my automatic tuner; to use tuner, connect the tuner to any synth of choice, and use feedback with full volume to redirecting the audio signal back to the tuner. Once you have form a feedback loop, flick the "tune instrument" controller, the instrument will be tune to 100Hz automatically. Tuning process might be fail at the first attempt, so you might need to flick the tune switch multiple times, or changing the filter or algorithm to make it tuned. Once You have got the stable tone, flick the "Freeze Tuning" to lock the pitch.

Here is the demo:

However, there are limitations:
- If you click the Stop button, the memory stored in delay will be cleared, so you can't save the value after reloading the project.
- Sample with weak fundamental frequency might confuse the tuner, setting the wrong pitch.