SunVox 2.0 BETA

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox 2.0 BETA

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox 2.0 BETA2 is ready for testing!
https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox-2.0-beta3.zip
(test versions for Windows, Linux, macOS and WinCE)
The final version with support for all systems will be released soon.

What is new:

BETA3:
  • Delay: the Feedback resolution has been increased to 32768;
  • Delay: new "Delay unit" value: sample; try to avoid using this as the sound will depend on the sampling rate in the SunVox settings;
  • Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 phase" - starting phase of the additional oscillator;
  • Analog Generator: new option "Increased frequency computation accuracy";
  • FMX: new Modulation type - "phase+"; the same as phase modulation, but the envelope will be applied to self-modulation and feedback;
  • bug fixes;
BETA2:
  • module and timeline editor: "Select All" has been changed to "Select/Unselect All";
  • FFT: "Volume" ctl;
  • Delay: new "Delay units" values: sec/44100, sec/48000;
  • bug fixes;
BETA1:
  • iOS 11+: SunVox Audio Unit (AUv3) can now send MIDI notes and MIDI CC to other AU modules;
  • iOS 13.4+: full USB/Bluetooth keyboard support (like on desktops);
  • multiple module selection (see changelog_details.txt) + ability to save several selected modules to a sunvox file;
  • timeline: supertracks (see changelog_details.txt and simple_examples/supertracks.sunvox);
  • improved import of old tracker formats (XM and MOD);
  • new module - FMX: 5-operator Frequency Modulation synth;
  • new module - FFT frequency transformator;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • the name of the current file is now visible in the title bar of the app window;
  • timeline menu: new option "Vertical mode"; +shortcut
  • timeline menu: new functions "Load" and "Save" to load/save selected patterns from/to a sunvox file;
  • timeline menu: new function "Detach" to convert the clones to the normal patterns; +shortcut
  • module editor menu: new function "Detach" to detach the selected modules from the rest; +shortcut
  • module editor menu: new function "Make MetaModule" for packing the selected modules into a single MetaModule; +shortcut
  • now it is possible to delete modules, but keep the links;
  • pattern properties: X and Y fields - exact coordinates of the pattern on the timeline;
  • module properties: X and Y fields - exact coordinates of the module;
  • module visualizer: "Phase Sync" oscilloscope option has been added; activate it to see a single waveform cycle;
  • module visualizer: new buttons "reset", "apply", "copy", "paste";
  • ADSR->Sustain: new value "Repeat" (repeat the envelope until the module is stopped);
  • ADSR->Smooth Transitions: new value "volume change" (the volume will change smoothly, but the envelope start is not smoothed);
  • Amplifier: new controller "Bipolar DC Offset";
  • Analog Generator: the "Freq2" controller has been ranamed to "Osc2" (pitch deviation of the additional oscillator);
  • Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 volume" - additional oscillator volume;
  • Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 mode" - mixing mode of the main and additional oscillators (add;sub;mul;min;max;bitwise AND;bitwise XOR);
  • Delay: new controller "Feedback" (for sound and events);
  • Delay: new controller "Delay multiplier";
  • Delay: max delay length has been increased to 60 sec;
  • Echo: new controller "Right channel offset" (how much to shift the right channel relative to the left in time);
  • Echo: new controller "Filter";
  • Echo: new controller "Filter frequency";
  • Filter Pro: new modes "stereo + smoothing" and "mono + smoothing" for additional parameter smoothing;
  • Filter Pro: new types "LP 6dB" and "HP 6dB";
  • MetaModule->Play patterns: new values "on (repeat, endless)" and "on (no repeat, endless)";
  • MetaModule: number of user defined controllers has been increased to 96;
  • MetaModule: controller color can now be changed by adding "@X" to the beginning of the name, where X is the group number from 0 to F; group colors (c_cgp0, c_cgp1, etc.) can be changed in sunvox_config.ini;
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = round-robin (cyclic)";
  • Sampler: new option "Increased frequency computation accuracy";
  • FM, SpectraVoice, Kicker, DrumSynth: clicks removal algorithm has been implemented - it is useful when the volume changes quickly or there are not enough polyphony channels;
  • FM: the "M.Feedback" controller has been renamed to "M.Self-modulation";
  • Vocal Filter: new controllers "Random frequency" and "Random seed";
  • Vocal Filter: new controllers "Vowel1", "Vowel2", "Vowel3", "Vowel4", "Vowel5";
  • effect 1С will work a little differently if you fill in its parameter as 10YY - this means that the velocity will be reset to 0 after YY ticks; (normal parameter 00YY means Note OFF after YY ticks);
  • new pattern effects (column EE):
    * 1A - fine velocity slide up/down (XX - up speed; YY - down speed); once at the beginning of a line;
    * 33 - slot sync (for sv_sync_resume() in SunVox library);
    * 34 - set (XX) or reset (YY) project options: 1 - no portamento on the first tick; 2 - no velocity slide on the first tick; (for compatibility with old tracker formats);
    * 3C - copy track XX from from the pattern YY; for example, if XXYY = 0023, then the first track will be copied from the pattern named "23";
    * 3D - write a random value to track YY; min value, max value and column must be in track 0, starting from line XX; see example "pat effect 3D random value";
    (columns: 0 - NN; 1 - VV; 2 - MM; 3 - CC; 4 - EE; 5 - XX; 6 - YY; 7 - XXYY);
  • corrected Mute/Solo algorithm for modules;
  • OpenGL accelerated versions for Windows and Linux;
  • new options in sunvox_config.ini: controller group colors c_cgp0, c_cgp1, etc.;
  • new options in sunvox_config.ini: module layer colors c_layer0, c_layer1, c_layer2, etc.;
  • new options in sunvox_config.ini: c_pbtn, c_pbtn_op, c_pscroll, c_pateditor_level, c_pateditor_cursor, show_sel_btn, show_sbars, edit_mode;
  • new curves in curves/MultiSynth/curve3 for different equal temperament systems (for example, ET19 - 19 tones per octave);
  • new modules in the instruments/ and effects/ folders;
  • new examples (SunVox Compo 2021.02 winners): Logickin - Mech Haven, So_ingMachine - Some of our tracks cant be covered, kiberaver - electric dreams;
  • new examples: NightRadio - Afterglow, NightRadio - Winter Is Coming;
  • bug fixes;
  • and more in the final release...
AutumnCheney

Re: SunVox 2.0 BETA

Post by AutumnCheney »

yay!! can't wait to play with it
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
Dalle

Post by Dalle »

FFT module is a very cool surprise! Love it.
Mammipappi

Post by Mammipappi »

Woo! Christmas (or your preferred holiday)! is truly here! :beer: :Yahoo!:
Dalle wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:48 pm FFT module is a very cool surprise! Love it.
Yeah, I've only tried that and the new FM module very hastily, but I agree. Can't wait to chuck in my guitar and route it through FFT and have a go at it :D

Is there a way to route multiple modules to one module in one click/one drag now, now that there's the ability to select multiple modules? Yesterday I started to load a whole bunch of one-shot drum samples into meta-modules (thanks for the tip, leondustar!), and I figured I'd ask before I finish loading in the hundred upon hundred samples I have ^^

Anyways, great job, NightRadio. You're an effing champ!
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

hi, idk if this is where i can report bugs, but i'll do it here because it's convenient

i built a bode frequency shifter using the new fft module, and i found that when you send a sawtooth into it, it does some weird things with the harmonic amplitudes at about 12000hz-ish when the shift is at 0 (no shift)

idk if this is due to the design or a bug with the fft or even a design quirk but i figured i'd report it anyway to see if i can get answers

i've attached the module to this post
Attachments
ACheney Frequency Shifter.sunsynth
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

a1matt

Post by a1matt »

Sorry I can't help with beta testing (I'm not a desktop user).

I just want to say this looks fantastic and thank you for all the effort that must have gone into it.
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

I am very excited!!! Can't wait to play with the new FM Module and the FFT frequency transformator!!!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Is there a way to route multiple modules to one module in one click/one drag now, now that there's the ability to select multiple modules?
Not yet :(
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

i built a bode frequency shifter using the new fft module, and i found that when you send a sawtooth into it, it does some weird things with the harmonic amplitudes at about 12000hz-ish when the shift is at 0 (no shift)
Just set "10.HP cutoff" to 32768 :)
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

I feel like the FMX module is missing panning controls (per operator). Though if that's too much of an issue then we'll be happy with FMX still
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:33 am
Just set "10.HP cutoff" to 32768 :)
oh cool! this fixed it!

of course, the module generates both high and low sidebands regardless of whether the shift is positive or negative, so it's not any different from a standard ring modulator. i guess it's probably because i'm a dummy and didn't implement weaver's design correctly, but i was wondering whether i could get any help with this from someone more knowledgeable than me? thanks!
Attachments
ACheney Frequency Shifter.sunsynth
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

btw, i think i noticed something

if you play the project and copy and paste a module, the playback stops. it didn't do this before. it happens with and without supertracks enabled

Lilith

Post by Lilith »

Thanks for the great update!
Madrayken

Post by Madrayken »

Thanks so much for all your hard work!
FM6

FMX's dynamic feedback (moved to forum from DM)

Post by FM6 »

Hello there!

I don't know how much I'm going to congratulate you for the update you made this year! It would kinda kill the other DAWs or VSTs! Now I have the ability to make FM synth sounds! Except I have a disadvantage. The feedback system of FMX is totally fixed (don't confuse with "repaired") which means it obligates you to automate the feedback and the volume of the operator at the same time with ADSR modulated sound2ctl.
I realized most of the Yamaha FM synthesizers have their own feedback gate or aftertouch-like mod setting. The more the operator level is, the more the feedback increases. The feedback register in fact sets the limit of the gate so I guess that's why it was named "Total Levels" or TL for short because it controls the ADSR volume and then the ADSR automates the feedback if I'm not mistaken. Queries even promised to make YM2612 patch converters for the SunVox.
If you look at this video below, you will notice the difference between the Mega Drive's YM2612 and FMX's feedback.

Since this update is beta, I would like to ask if you can add a "Dynamic Feedback" option or parameter just like you did with the velocity sensitivity and scaling per keys?

I would definitely love to get my hands on it as longs as it's fully updated.

Thank you so much!

P.S. Moved out from DM to here.