Can midi be recorded live in the pattern editor?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
andy79_ro

Can midi be recorded live in the pattern editor?

Post by andy79_ro »

Hi,

I was on and off from SunVox over the years trying it superficially, but never got into it.
As my introduction to DAWs was not through trackers, I didn't find the vertical line by line writing in trackers appealing. The look, feel and organic interconnect of all components of SunVox has a magic appeal to it, so I keep coming back. Also having the same interface on my phone and tablet, makes it versatile.

My question is in the title. How can I record directly into the pattern editor from the midi input, into the active/open pattern editor? IT would be cool to see directly the notes appearing in the editor as playing them with the connected window. This way quantization is implicit as well.

Is it already possible, and I missed it?

And congrats to Alexander for persistently developing over the years this unique product and offering it to us for free. Donated.

Thanks,

Andy
Lilith

Re: Can midi be recorded live in the pattern editor?

Post by Lilith »

Not possible AFAIK at the moment. Maybe in the next update?
andy79_ro

Post by andy79_ro »

I realized that for a non tracker expert as I am, this recording straight into the patten as it loops , with the play on, would ease my life a lot.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

Maybe this video helps and you can build a "workaround". :unknown:
andy79_ro

Post by andy79_ro »

Thanks spktkpkt, but that is overkill for me. The number of midi tracks are sufficient, and would prefer staying inside sunvox interface. Chaining with other apps, kills its all-in-one quality.
Rozeta seems nice though, but I'm on android.

Recording directly visually into the tracker lanes, with the metronome on and the tracker markers flowing, would be the easy way around imagining in my head the exact spaces and note entries. Right now I can't get my head around it, unless it's a very simple sequence.
Keres

Post by Keres »

of course you can record MIDI.

go to preferences and set up you MIDI input device. then set up quantization in the recording preffs, then set your latency. For MIDI playback and recording, the least latency you want is 11ms, anything over that is not manageable. optimal latency for any recording starts under 7ms.

MIDI is simple with Sunvox, its the same as all the other instruments. you just select which generator module you want to play and if you have your device set up correctly (if it is working with your operating system and you set Sunvox up to use it) it will play sounds out of that generator.

you can double click each module to get the module properties. if you look closely, there are MIDI options there for "play when selected" and "MIDI channel (all)" so you can configure them as you need to.

the idea that Trackers are not able to handle MIDI or, that they are inferior MIDI sequencers, is false. Even Octamed1.0 for Amiga 500 in 1989 had a full implementation of MIDI.
andy79_ro

Post by andy79_ro »

Keres, I can record midi with record button, I know that. But the tracker view is hidden during this time for the pattern actually recorded.
What I asked about from the beginning was to see the tracker roll during record, as when playing an already existing pattern. When I unlock for editing (Space) the active cursor should not stop as it happens now, but to roll the same way as when played. And when playing the midi events into that pattern, the notes and other commands to appear live in the list.
It's like having another option for Edit Step aside the 1-16 steps, such as "roll take" or smth.
spktkpkt

Post by spktkpkt »

andy79_ro wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:13 pm Thanks spktkpkt, but that is overkill for me...
True. I thought you need general help and this video would give you some hints, because i don't understand your question correctly.
andy79_ro wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 am What I asked about from the beginning was to see the tracker roll during record, as when playing an already existing pattern.
Now i get it, you need the visual feedback, but i also think it is not possible (yet?).
andy79_ro

Post by andy79_ro »

Thanks for the input. As I missed the tracker train at its time, I realize it's quite hard for me to "see" the correct positions when typing in the notes on and off, especially when timing is not the simple 4/4 (any useful videos on this ?)
I see the value in doing fine fundings and addition of more intricate events in the tracker, but the first input / melodic line is easier for me straight from the midi keyboard, real or the virtual one.(with existing record option, true it's half there, but not as convenient as live/loop record)
So the feature to add notes into a looping pattern, and see where the notes pop up, would be useful to build the song. Of course it needs to allow for overwrite or overdub options to the already recorded events.
Arciom Nesterovich

Post by Arciom Nesterovich »

spktkpkt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:48 pm Maybe this video helps and you can build a "workaround". :unknown:
And as addition to this video I usually use my own midi's that I uploaded to musescore (https://musescore.com/user/login?destin ... m%2Fupload). It helps me to save all my unfinished music works on the same place :good:
andy79

Post by andy79 »

So no live in pattern recording in 2.0. :(

I'm hopeful it will happen one day...
andy79

Post by andy79 »

Hi everybody,

Hope at least loop recording(ovedub) will be implemented some day.

This is the best sounding and most resource efficient android daw out there. Allowing it to create in a clip based approach like Live or Bitwig would be awesome.

All the best!
Lilith

Post by Lilith »

This would be indeed great. But I wonder if it makes the actual recording mode obsolete then?
andy79

Post by andy79 »

It shouldn't. :) Maybe some people want to record longer midi performances or directly audio, and for that it's still useful.
This feature of recording inside a looping pattern - with implicit quantizing should suite electronic genre better ;). I understand it is a departure from the tracker philosophy, but some of us missed that train. I cannot compose the steps in my head in a tracker logic and then type the algorithm. I prefer to play the tune on the midi controller.
andy79

Post by andy79 »

Hi Alexander,

Any news o such development (record into an existing/looping pattern) in Sunvox?:)

Thanks