Embed existing module in meta module

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Bjørn Felle

Embed existing module in meta module

Post by Bjørn Felle »

if i create a module with pattern data and then decide I want to put it in a meta module, for example make it transposable like an arp, can i do that? like, take that existing module and embed it inside a new meta module, and have the pattern data automatically moved to a pattern within the meta module?
queries

Re: Embed existing module in meta module

Post by queries »

One way to do this is to:

1) Save the current project to a file.
2) Create a MetaModule.
3) Load the project you just saved into the MetaModule.
4) Edit the MetaModule. It will be the same as the parent project at this point, except for the MetaModule you just created.
5) Remove everything from the MetaModule, except the parts you want to keep.
6) Exit the MetaModule (back to the main project).
7) Configure the controllers and options of the MetaModule as you see fit.

Perhaps someone knows a simpler way to do this, but I know that the above works.
Bjørn Felle

Post by Bjørn Felle »

woah, ok so it’s just sinking in that meta modules are like another copy of Sunvox running inside a module. that makes perfect sense, thanks man. maybe a future update could have an “embed in meta module” option on the module settings, a bit like in Reason how you can right click and choose “combine” to have a device wired in to a combinator
queries

Post by queries »

Yeah, MetaModules are a delightful concept. Hats off to NightRadio for adding them to SunVox. They are basically limited only by memory and CPU constraints. Otherwise, you can go many levels deep with MetaModules.

They can emit note events too, not just audio. :) So you can have some patterns embedded in a MetaModule, that can then be sent to whatever sort of synth you want in the outer project.
Bjørn Felle

Post by Bjørn Felle »

queries wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:10 am Yeah, MetaModules are a delightful concept. Hats off to NightRadio for adding them to SunVox. They are basically limited only by memory and CPU constraints. Otherwise, you can go many levels deep with MetaModules.

They can emit note events too, not just audio. :) So you can have some patterns embedded in a MetaModule, that can then be sent to whatever sort of synth you want in the outer project.
I am blown away by the meta modules to be honest. It is a genius feature and i am just starting to think about the possibilities of nesting them. i have had sunvox on various devices for years but never used it til now because it looked intimidating, but for some reason now it just makes perfect sense and i love it
iaon

Post by iaon »

By the way, you don't have to create an empty MetaModule first.
You can also load a .sunvox project in the 'Load module' browser.
Bjørn Felle

Post by Bjørn Felle »

iaon wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 pm By the way, you don't have to create an empty MetaModule first.
You can also load a .sunvox project in the 'Load module' browser.
this software keeps getting better and better, thanks man. now all i want is a hardware device like the upcoming Polyend Tracker but running Sunvox :D
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

Bjørn Felle wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 pm this software keeps getting better and better, thanks man. now all i want is a hardware device like the upcoming Polyend Tracker but running Sunvox :D
I guess it is possible, since there is raspberry pi version of SunVox. If we able to come up with some way to control the raspberry pi with GPIOs, it might be possible to make something like a Polyend Tracker.
Bjørn Felle

Post by Bjørn Felle »

Logickin λ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:11 pm
Bjørn Felle wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 pm this software keeps getting better and better, thanks man. now all i want is a hardware device like the upcoming Polyend Tracker but running Sunvox :D
I guess it is possible, since there is raspberry pi version of SunVox. If we able to come up with some way to control the raspberry pi with GPIOs, it might be possible to make something like a Polyend Tracker.
People have done it by building enclosures for a RPi or an phone/tablet running Sunvox, but it is still heavily reliant on the touchscreen/mouse. I think fairly substantial workflow changes would be needed for it to be really usable, such as the module arranger would be really hard to use without touch screen. And I think if you changed Sunvox so that it works differently then it isn't really Sunvox any more. Though I could try it with this:

Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

Bjørn Felle wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 pm this software keeps getting better and better, thanks man. now all i want is a hardware device like the upcoming Polyend Tracker but running Sunvox :D
People have done it by building enclosures for a RPi or an phone/tablet running Sunvox, but it is still heavily reliant on the touchscreen/mouse. I think fairly substantial workflow changes would be needed for it to be really usable, such as the module arranger would be really hard to use without touch screen. And I think if you changed Sunvox so that it works differently then it isn't really Sunvox any more. Though I could try it with this:
Nice case for the tablet! Sometimes LEGO is a great way to quickly prototyping things when 3D printer is not available.
I just check raspberry pi library, finding that someone did come up with a solution to control keyboard with GIPO pins:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 97#p413297
Not sure about the mouse control, but this makes me interested to get one to test with SunVox someday.
Bjørn Felle

Post by Bjørn Felle »

Logickin λ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:08 am Nice case for the tablet! Sometimes LEGO is a great way to quickly prototyping things when 3D printer is not available.
I just check raspberry pi library, finding that someone did come up with a solution to control keyboard with GIPO pins:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 97#p413297
Not sure about the mouse control, but this makes me interested to get one to test with SunVox someday.
thanks man! Yeah I had loads of lego lying around and couldn’t afford a flight case, so i built that :D I have a flight case now so the lego rig lives in the studio. Thanks for the research you did, that is interesting and I will check it out. What do you see as the advantage of controlling over GPIO? Are you thinking in terms of mapping knobs, sliders and buttons to functions of Sunvox? Even so i think keyboard and mouse would be necessary, it’s a very complex piece of software with many functions which was designed for keyboard/mouse/touch controls so it is hard to imagine how it could be adapted to work any other way
andy79

Post by andy79 »

A Polyend Tracker - Sunvox Edition will be the killer. :)

Maybe somebody should suggest this colaboration to Polyend guys.
regex

Post by regex »

andy79 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:27 pm A Polyend Tracker - Sunvox Edition will be the killer. :)

Maybe somebody should suggest this colaboration to Polyend guys.
Funny, that's a project I'm looking into myself. Nothing's been done yet, just research.