midi loads/plays in metamodule, now how to play it from a Master sunvox project

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
hurrells

midi loads/plays in metamodule, now how to play it from a Master sunvox project

Post by hurrells » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:43 am

Hello.

Running latest SunVox 1.9.4c on Win10. I am mostly a newbie with SunVox.

I've searched the Forum, Google and YouTube for a simple step-by-step examples of how to play midi in SunVox via a Metamodule, which seems to be the only way to play midi, and found so far: So from the main menu I can "Import -> midi" and automatically get a Metamodule with the 5 midi tracks and can play that. Alternatively I can manually create a metamodule and load the midi via that module and play that. So far so good.

What I want to do now is save that and then from a Master project either start or trigger the midi to play. I understand that in the metamodule I must turn on 03.play_patterns and I think that in the sub-project I have to feed a myltisynth as an input modules into the midi tracks or something like that to get it playing.

The purpose of all this is just to learn and cover a song I have in midi and then for run load in further metamodules for each type of instrument to make it sound like the song. I'm just experimenting with SunVox as a replacement for things like tuxguitar, Band In a Box. Just for fun but with an eye to create a library of reusable metamodules.

I've spent some time with SuperCollider, Reaper and many VSTs and both platforms are not a robust as SunVox and seem to require continuous re-learning of their interfaces, VSTs and overall are not as productive as SunVox. I think SunVox is the "sweet spot" between Synths, DAWs and trackers.

Hopefully the above makes sense, any questions please ask.

Cheers
'Steve

Keres

Re: midi loads/plays in metamodule, now how to play it from a Master sunvox project

Post by Keres » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:23 pm

create a new metamodule, go inside of it then import the MIDI file. Then just replace the instruments for each midi track with multisynths and connect them to the master. Now when you exit back from the metamodule you created with the midi sequence in it, the multisynth data will stream out of the metamodule.

hurrells

Re: midi loads/plays in metamodule, now how to play it from a Master sunvox project

Post by hurrells » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello Keres.

Thank you for your message. I was unsuccessful. Here are the details of my work and am stopped at STEP B.

STEP A:
I understood and was able to do this part: "create a new metamodule, go inside of it then import the MIDI file. Then just replace the instruments for each midi track with multisynths". Note that I did finish changing module 06 by again using the replace function to change the midi to multisynth. When I play the sub-project I don't hear anything but I do see the midi passing through the Pattern Editor and per module, activity in the "Velocity Curve" form or graphing.

If you can't see this pic it shows the Metamodule being edited and shows the 5 MultiSynths holding one of each of the Midi patterns from the loaded Midi file. All 5 MultiSynths [01, 03, 04, 05, 06] feed into Amplifier [02] and then to output.

STEP B:
I did not understand how to do this part: " and connect them to the master."

My first guess is that this means to click "Back" into the master and set the MetaModule's Controller 02.Input Module to the first Multisynth which I did. However, your note seems to imply that I can do this within the Metamodule where you next write: "Now when you exit back from the metamodule with the midi sequence in it".

STEP C: SIMPLE/MANUAL PLAYING:
"the multisynth data will stream out of the metamodule.". So back in the Master project, there is no sound or activity in the Master Sunvox project when I click play or play current pattern. I assume that all I have to do is click play ?

STEP C: PATTERN/TRIGGERED PLAYING
"the multisynth data will stream out of the metamodule.". I'd like to know how to choose when the entire midi sequence is triggered, probably via a pattern. I don't know if I have to set and send a Midi "play" command from the pattern or something else.

Please let me know if you need any further details or what I should be doing.,

Thank You

hurrells

Post by hurrells » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:24 am

Hello.

Still stuck on this. Any help is appreciated.

Is there any examples out there that show midi data being played? I just can't find any to help me.

Thanks

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Still stuck on this. Any help is appreciated.
Just looked at your screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/ICRGxcB.jpg
The problem is the MutliSynth connected to Amplifier. MultiSynth will generate the music events (note ON, note OFF). Amplifier will receive these events, but it can't pass this data through himself and pass it to subsequent modules. Because the Amplifier can work with the sound signals only.
Just connect the MultiSynths to the Output directly.
This will work. BUT in the master project you will receive all the notes from all MIDI tracks at the same time. This is because the MetaModule has the single output for the events, and it can't group these events by the MIDI channels.
So...
Try not to use MetaModule at all :) Just import the MIDI to the master project.
Or use several MetaModules with different tracks.
Or use single MetaModule, but enable/disable the required MultiSynths inside.

hurrells

Post by hurrells » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 am

Hello.

Thank you for your help. I'm still encountering problems which I outline below. I will understand this and am always willing to learn.

I have attached a project which is simply MainMenu -> Load [a Midi File] -> Generates a MetaModule as you can see.

I don't see how to just load midi into the master project. Every thing I try creates a Metamodule and within it an analog generator per midi track.
I guess you mean to copy paste the midi events from the MetaModule's Pattern Editor up into the master project. This would be hard to do as the midi data for one module is spread throughout the Pattern Editor tracks.

The reason that I replaced the Analog Generators with Multisynths was because user Keres said to do this. When I do this for any Midi track (i.e. Module #08 or the Drums) or if I route it directly to output, as you suggest, I hear nothing in the MetaModule. I hear nothing if I go back and play the master project in every case.

So I'm going to re-read SunVox documentation on midi, learn more about multisynths to better understand both you and Keres help.

I think your other methods below make sense to me and I can see how I'd do that.
  • Or use several MetaModules with different tracks.
  • Or use single MetaModule, but enable/disable the required MultiSynths inside.
Thank You
Attachments
Midi-test-ACDC.zip
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am

I don't see how to just load midi into the master project
In the master project go to the main menu -> Load project -> select MIDI :)

When I do this for any Midi track (i.e. Module #08 or the Drums) or if I route it directly to output, as you suggest, I hear nothing in the MetaModule
This is because you have no synth (receiver) that can handle these events. If you connect such MetaModule to Analog Generator (or any other synth) - you will hear all the notes from the internal MultiSynths.

I think you are a little confused in these things. It's ok when you try to deal with SunVox :)
Probably the most suitable way for you is just load MIDI to the master project. I don’t think you should use MetaModules here.

hurrells

Post by hurrells » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:20 am

Hello NIghtRadio

Thank You very much for your help. It all made sense and worked. I will continue to read and experiment.

I had no idea that one could load a midi file as a project. Who knew :D

I chose to keep everything in the main project for now.
  • I replaced most AnalogGenerators with Multisynths
  • Feed those MultiSynths into Metamodules which are usually loaded synths in SunVox or from the forum.
Thanks again for all your help. I can see how SunVox could replace some of my other backing track tools and thereby lower the amount of other software I need to learn and keep updated.

I am doing other things in SunVox which are also working out.

Thanks