SunVox To-Do List

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
sergos

Re: SunVox todo

Post by sergos »

Here I have next proposals:

1. to have a tap button for tempo matching. I used to listen DM on my 4700 and to punch something into it :)
2. to have MP3 support for recording/grabbing of loops (of the same DM) - here you'll need to support an on-disk sample of big size. can be a separate tool (generator)
3. what I found is when you make any loop in the generators pane it crashes immediately. here I have two conseqences:
--* do not allow loops, warning in this case
--* use the same modular system as many others: output of one generator can be a source for any parameter of other, which will give a killing opportunities of generators creation. ultimate goal: a pocket NI Reaktor! (who's not putting an ambitious goals - not reaching a thing)
4. the ablility to switch to/from the sunvox without closing it. currently it is a 'foreground' only for pocketPC (and I cannot force my player to replay the 'Personal Jesus'! :x )
5. VGA for pocketPC. the HP 4700 I use has 640x480 and 1.3b runs 320x240. not a big issue, can hurt performance either. but so far your BB version is not limited, I suppose no real lmits for pocket version? this feature will increase the edit panes, besides the 'modern look' :)

Alex, if you have any interest in my contribution - I will try to allocate some time for it. Does your latest sources are relevant, do you have a public SVN?
Am I right that all generators and the routing is in the opensource part?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

1. I promise to think about it :)
2. ...same
3. Crashing on loops - will be fixed. Using the outputs as sources for parameters - of course, this feature will be great, i think this feature will be added to SunVox one day.
4. Already in todo list :)
5. Try to use sunvox_config.ini with following string: "videodriver raw"

You are right, that sunvox engine (sound rendering part) is open source. But unfortunately i have no SVN repository with actual engine sources at the moment, sorry. Here is v1.3b engine only: http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sun ... ources.zip . v1.4 will be soon.
FedeX

Post by FedeX »

Please, add to sunvox support 320*320 (sqare) screen sizes support on WinCE. If it will work, may be I will by sunvox.. I try test sunvox demo on emulator and it run not in fullscreen, in just 240*320 area..
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

FeDeX,
Please, try to select another videodriver.
Just create sunvox_config.ini file with string: "videodriver raw" or "videodriver gdi".
And then put this file to the root of your device's filesystem
FedeX

Post by FedeX »

Thank you. Great - both this modes are working.
boomlinde

Post by boomlinde »

I bought Sunvox today (seeing the summer sale as a great opportunity :)), and I really like it so far. One thing I think is missing though is an envelope for the filter. It could be triggered by whatever synths are connected to it and have standard ADSR parameters and a modulation depth control. With this you could create very interesting sounds, even with a polyphonic synth connected to a monophonic filter (for example the Poly-800 works like this: a single filter for all eight voices, and it works good enough).
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

2boomlinde:
Yes, filter envelope will be great feature :) I'll add this in SunVox to-do list
boomlinde

Post by boomlinde »

Cool! I have some other ideas, the first one being quite esoteric but probably easy to implement: an effect where you can set the probability of a note being triggered. It might be useful to easily add some variation to a song without a lot of manual work. I'm used to working with trackers and being in absolute control of every parameter, but I like the idea of composing in a non-deterministic way.

The other suggestion I have might me a little bit more ambitious, but a beat slicer would be nice. If you could load a break beat sample, stretch it (as in pitch up/down) to fit any amount of lines and then play the sound from different equally spaced offsets using different notes you would save a lot of time by not having to go into an editor and slice it up manually. For example, loading a simple 4 beat break beat sample, stretching it to fit 16 lines in the tracker and splitting it into 16 equally long parts that can be played in whatever order you want is really useful for jungle, drum and bass, hip-hop and the like.

Oh, and I guess you must already be working on vibrato! :)
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Hey, I may have requested this once already but I didn't see it on todo list.

2 FX would be welcome:

1 - EQ (2 or 3 band. Nothing spectacular but enough to carve a 'space' for a sound)
2 - Compressor/Limiter (useful in SO many ways...beefing up a sound or just making the output of sunvox sound more polished and avoid clipping)

Also expanding the FM synth to have a couple of selectable waveforms for Mod and Car would be great and give the synth more ability to create a wider range of sounds. :) The TX81Z from yamaha is 2 op, i believe, but it has more character and possibilities than the FB01 which is 4OP simply because of it's oscillator selections.

Other than that, the todo list looks GREAT! Sure glad I bought this soft. :)
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
MrWhippy

Post by MrWhippy »

Hi, Firstly, sunvox is great and brilliant. Im using milkytracker on the PDA so much, sunvox is great as it is similar in layout but with the synthesis and filters...the FM synthesis with the high degree of control is particularly frickin awsome! (I love trackin in the forest like a sci-fi gnome)
Here are a few features which I would love to see implemented in future versions:

1.) Pattern follow mode: pattern screen scrolls over currently playing notes as a song or pattern is played.

2.) When entering data in the pattern editor with stylus, holding down on the button should cause data to be repeatedly entered (so i dont have to press a separate time for every line)

3.)rendering mode which enables each track in a song to be rendered to .wav separately.

4.)Ability to highlight, for example; only the volume data in a track with the use of the stylus....(so that i can highlight each vertical column of data in the track separately for deleting multiple parameter settings at once with one button press). [eg. deleting all note frequency data while leaving the effect columns intact OR deleting all standard effects, leaving all note frequency data, instrument number and volume data intact]

5.)Ability to make text in pattern editor smaller (in order to fit more tracks onscreen at a time...i use milkytracker so im used to being able to see more of a song by using the 'tiny' text size option)...on iphone this feature will not work as your stylus must be a finger, on PDA tip of stylus is much more accurate/can point to a smaller area.

6.) The option to be able to use a number based pattern order editor (exactly as in LSDJ or LGPT). [This kind of pattern order editor is way better for performing a song 'live']. perhaps, one click with the stylus could line up a phrase in a channel to be played once the currently playing phrase is finished. two clicks would line it up for 'immediate play' (at the end of the currently playing bar). A stylus click whilst holding one of the buttons of the PDA could line up a phrase of a channel to be stopped at the end of currently playing phrase...a double click in the same way would line it up to be stopped immediately.
MrWhippy

Post by MrWhippy »

Also, custom colour scheme creation would be good (as in milkytracker) ...the grey is cool but hurts your eyes after a while...im down with orange myself
foodeater

Post by foodeater »

I just bought SunVox for iPod. It sounds really great. Do you have when the any idea when realtime note recording in the pattern editor will be ready? It's not hard to use now, but I have more fun if I can play the notes!

Thanks for the awesome program.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

to foodeater: i think, somewhere in late January. I'm planning large-scale changes in SunVox core for real-time recording, MIDI support and other interesting things.
sea

Post by sea »

Just bought it too after seeing it mentioned on palm sounds (hey, I'm cheap!)

Only had a few minutes to play, really like it so far. All the items on your todo list sound like great features, looking forward to the next release.

Was wondering; any plans for a sidechain style compressor? No doubt it can be faked with an LFO and some patience, but there'd be a whole market of electro heads who'd love it to be instant and built-in. Imagine, Benny Benassi's next album, all done on his iphone.. :)

-sea
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Of course :) sidechain compressor/limiter is on the top of SunVox todo list.