Mastering Chiptunes

Simple and fun sample based tracker with minimalistic pixel interface
jdpedida

Mastering Chiptunes

Post by jdpedida »

Any tips for mastering chiptunes, or in this case, Pixitracker 1Bit songs? :unknown:
Last edited by jdpedida on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
samrai katt kovboy

Re: Mastering Chiptunes/8 Bit Music

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Think that in the case of Chiptune music you want to leave the sound pretty much alone... maybe just render it into a sound file and then normalize the file.
Or if it just do not get loud enough use a limiter to and bring up the volume a little bit.
Sometimes there is transient spikes that is keeping the volume low and you can use a so called clipper that will keep those in check, the problem is that if you overuse it there will be distortion which in the case of chiptune is not as important but if there is a fast transient that peeks through it will not distort the sound.
I have lately started to use a VST Called GClip that is for free and have the advantage that you can see the waveform so you can easily let it clip exactly where needed.
So if you use it listen for distortion and after you dialed it in render the song and then normalize.
Link to GClip:
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip_screenshot.htm
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
jdpedida

Re: Mastering Chiptunes

Post by jdpedida »

samrai katt kovboy wrote:Think that in the case of Chiptune music you want to leave the sound pretty much alone... maybe just render it into a sound file and then normalize the file.
Or if it just do not get loud enough use a limiter to and bring up the volume a little bit.
Sometimes there is transient spikes that is keeping the volume low and you can use a so called clipper that will keep those in check, the problem is that if you overuse it there will be distortion which in the case of chiptune is not as important but if there is a fast transient that peeks through it will not distort the sound.
I have lately started to use a VST Called GClip that is for free and have the advantage that you can see the waveform so you can easily let it clip exactly where needed.
So if you use it listen for distortion and after you dialed it in render the song and then normalize.
Link to GClip:
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip_screenshot.htm
Thanks, samrai. Took your advice and here's what I've come up with:

http://soundcloud.com/jdpedida/genesis
Last edited by jdpedida on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
samrai katt kovboy

Re: Mastering Chiptunes/8 Bit Music

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

It is an interesting track.
I am in the process of doing some Chiptune myself in a more PoP Style with vocals
Hopefully there will be something finished soon as I want to work with Virtual ANS to for a while...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
jdpedida

Re: Mastering Chiptunes

Post by jdpedida »

Good to know that. Do tell me whenever it's done. Would love to hear it. :)