importing animated gifs

the fleshy timeclock

importing animated gifs

Post by the fleshy timeclock »

I think this is an issue that only Alexander will be able to address...

I love the pixivisor app, especially its lo-fi, pixillated look.

After having good success image-searching for animated gifs to import into the transmitter side of pixivisor, I decided to try my hand at making my own pixel art animated gifs with an iOS app called Sprite Something. It is a very powerful app that supports a variety of resolutions and numbers of frames that can be stored in a gif. It also exports the gifs via email, which is great because not every iOS app so easily allows created content to escape the confines of the Apple ecosystem.

After exporting, it takes a few steps to get the gifs onto the SD card of my Android SGS3 which I use to transmit to my iPad, both of which have pixivisor installed on them.

I have successfully displayed 60x60 and 240x240 copies of a 25 frame gif, but another 60x60 gif with 30 frames saves to the SD card but is "invisible" to pixivisor, by which I mean I save it into the same folder I use for loading other gifs into pixivisor, but it does not appear on the file list when I try to load it.

With virtual ANS, for example, I know that the jpg files have to be formatted within specific parameters to be displayed properly, so I wonder: does pixivisor also require specific gif parameters? If so, what parameters should I set for the best success?

I hope my description makes sense. If you need more detail to answer my question, I will try to provide it.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: importing animated gifs

Post by NightRadio »

Hm... It is strange. As i know PixiVisor must recognize any GIF files.
Can you send some of these "wrong" files to me? nightradio@gmail.com
Also please tell me what directory do you use for GIF storage?
the fleshy timeclock

Post by the fleshy timeclock »

Thanks. I figured it out last night, and the directory was exactly the problem. Some gifs I had saved from google image search had gone into the "downloads" directory, and pixivisor accessed those just fine, but when I exported the new gifs I was making into that same directory, pixivisor wasn't seeing them there. When I switched to export from dropbox into the pixivisor/files/animated directory it solved the problem completely. having lots of fun with it now.

I must say that this Sprite Something app is really nice for creating hand drawn animated gifs that look great in pixivisor. I wish it were maybe $2 instead of $5, but I would still recommend it to any pixel artist looking for a good way to easily create short, low resolution animated gifs that will look good in pixivisor.
init8orbit

Post by init8orbit »

Any advice for a good animated gif software or link where to find some good ones? I'm on android and linux :wink:
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

I am using one for Android called Ucam Pro- It is 1.50€ and have a lot of different functions / effects and a good GIF maker.
Really easy to use but with a lot of options especially making GIF's in combination with the effects.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES