2.1 forcing noteoffs on trigger-only multisynth?

Found a bug? Post it here.
cockroach

2.1 forcing noteoffs on trigger-only multisynth?

Post by cockroach »

ver 2.1 win64
empty project, then add multisynth --> generator-->output.
Multisynth options (trigger -- ignore note OFF). Now play some notes on multisynth whether on your computer keyboard or on-screen.
The results are very inconsistent. Notes sometimes do not stay on as before. It definitely does NOT work like previous versions as I have compared side by side. It seems 2.1 is forcing noteoffs by way of the new keyboard features?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: 2.1 forcing noteoffs on trigger-only multisynth?

Post by NightRadio »

This is both a bug and not :) The result of modifying the engine to work with brushes.

There is a virtual pattern inside the engine: it distributes tracks from external keyboards.
There are two track allocation algorithms inside this pattern:
1) Tight packing:
alg1.png
alg1.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
2) Round-robin:
alg2.png
alg2.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
In v2.0 default is (2), but during live recording, the engine switches to algorithm (1).
In v2.1 algorithm (1) is always used, because it is more effecient and ideal for brush work.

The problem 1: algorithm (1) works with the "trigger" option not quite intuitively. Briefly: if two notes are on the same track, there is no way they can sound at the same time, even if the "trigger" option is enabled. Try to use it in a regular pattern and you'll see what I mean.
The problem 2: algorithm (2) does not work correctly with the brush.

I propose the following solution:
Algorithm (1) will remain the default. But if you need to work with MultiSynth+trigger in live performance, you can enable algorithm (2) using effect 34 with parameter 0400 (will be added in v2.1b)
cockroach

Post by cockroach »

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your proposal seems to say that we would need to put that parameter on a track and be "playing" or recording the track for this to work. Is that right? If so, that's an extra hurdle to jump over. I guess I could create a "mode 2" multisynth by putting it in a metamodule by itself and setting the play patterns to ON.
Cheers
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I guess I could create a "mode 2" multisynth by putting it in a metamodule by itself and setting the play patterns to ON.
No, because the track allocation will happen in the parent project, not in the metamodule...
But effect 34 0400 only needs to be called once per project. Then it will be saved in the project forever.
The "Trigger" option was originally designed incorrectly, because it works differently in different modes: live playing, recording, pattern.
Even in v2.0, if you press REC, this option will no longer work as intended :(
Ideally, I need to completely rewrite this algorithm in MultiSynth so that it can allocate the necessary tracks for itself. I think I need to implement this in one of the updates...
cockroach

Post by cockroach »

When you say "called" once per project, then it must be "played" on a track once, somewhere and then forever exists in some hidden setting? I don't know how that works. I guess I could make a default template with that effect and always use that template.
Ultimately it's your call, but I think you may be sacrificing conceptual clarity and simplicity of Sunvox to get a new feature which has limited appeal or usefulness. I am very hesitant to say that because I have not fully explored the brushes feature, and as a software developer myself, I don't like people making uninformed criticism of what I implement.
But looking over the other bugs that have popped up since 2.1 I can guess that some of them are related to this new feature also.
Hey, Sunvox is a hell of a lot of fun and very educational. The best thing since Buzz!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

it must be "played" on a track once, somewhere and then forever exists in some hidden setting?
Exactly. You can play it once in some pattern and then just delete that pattern. It will remain in the project.
Hey, Sunvox is a hell of a lot of fun and very educational. The best thing since Buzz!
Thx! :)