Analog Generator: Holding note with 06. Sustain=off gives half amplitude of short notes

Found a bug? Post it here.
signality

Analog Generator: Holding note with 06. Sustain=off gives half amplitude of short notes

Post by signality »

Hi,

Think I have found a bug.
I couldn't find anything like this mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

(This is the other bug referred to in: Analog gen envelope sticks at max with 04. Attack=256 & 06. Sustain-Off. )

This one is a bit more tricky to demonstrate and might need some patience in holding and releasing notes before the described behaviour can be invoked.

(It may also be the case that the bug is that short notes produce twice the amplitude rather than held notes produce half the amplitude as I suspect that the "normal" amplitude is the lower one as this is the amplitude reached with 06. Sustain - On for notes of a duration that I refer to below as "half the attack time or greater".)

If the Analog Generator is set to:
04. Attack = 255
05. Release = any value
06. Sustain = Off
then when a note with a duration of at least half the attack time or slightly longer (until immediately before the envelope goes into release on its own) is played on the virtual or a MIDI keyboard, the attack stops at about half amplitude and then goes into the release time and decays then back down to zero.

If a shorter note is played then the attack time is twice as long and the envelope reaches the full amplitude before decaying to zero.

If however, the Analog Generator is set to:
04. Attack = 256
05. Release = any value
06. Sustain = Off
then when a note with a duration of half the attack time or slightly longer (until immediately before the envelope goes into release on its own) is played on the virtual or a MIDI keyboard, the attack stops at about half amplitude and then when the note is released, the attack continues for the same time again until the envelope reaches the full amplitude and then sticks there and never decays then back down to zero.

Playing a longer note, the attack stops at about half amplitude and then goes into the release time and decays then back down to zero.

Playing a shorter note causes the attack time to continue and the full amplitude to be reached but then it gets stuck there as described in the bug report:

Analog gen envelope sticks at max with 04. Attack=256 & 06. Sustain-Off.

In each case, playing another note restarts the envelope.

This can be demonstrated using the attached project (which is identical to the project attached to the above bug report but is included here to save having to go looking for it).

It is being written and played on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel CORE2 Duo running Linux Mint 20 64bit.

Questions? Just ask. :)
Attachments
analog_gen_no_decay_w_256_attack.sunvox
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Analog Generator: Holding note with 06. Sustain=off gives half amplitude of short notes

Post by NightRadio »

Thank you!
There is definitely a bug with Attack=256, as described in your other post. I hope to fix it in the update.
As for the other weird stuff in this post, it's due to the influence of the High-pass filter envelope, which is enabled in your module :)
signality

Re: Analog Generator: Holding note with 06. Sustain=off gives half amplitude of short notes

Post by signality »

Thanks for looking into this and for your patience with my silly mistake of not noticing that I had left the filter enabled!