Unexpected Slide to note behaviour first time through pattern

Found a bug? Post it here.
signality

Unexpected Slide to note behaviour first time through pattern

Post by signality »

Hi,

In the attached Sunvox 2.0e project, the short pattern is a note followed by the same note played again with a pitch bend up and down.

The pitch bend is implemented using the 03: Slide to Note effect rather than the 01/02 slide up and slide down or the 05/06 pitch bend effects.

This seems to work fine and gives the desired effect but there is a problem with it because the first time the pattern is played after loading the project, the slide produces an unexpected slide up to a much higher pitched note and back down again producing a cute but undesired squeak!

The second and subsequent times the pattern is played however, the pitch bend is played as programmed and as so sounds as expected.

The behaviour was originally found in a more complex pattern and overall project so this is a stripped back version that captures the effect as it appeared in the original project. From experiments with the original project, the behaviour does not seem to be affected by preceding or following notes or the setup of the Analog Generator but I have not tried it with a different type of generator. It also seems to be independent of the Audio buffer size.

It is being written and played on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel CORE2 Duo running Linux Mint 20 64bit.

I can probably work around this behaviour using the other slide or pitch bend effects but I thought I'd report it as a bug anyway.

Thanks.
Attachments
why_the_squeak_1st_time_its_played.sunvox
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Unexpected Slide to note behaviour first time through pattern

Post by NightRadio »

Hi!
Thank you for the file and detailed description.
Each track has an internal parameter "Target Pitch".
Its default (after the project was loaded) value is 0, which is equal to note C10.
When you use effect 03 - the value from the NN column to the left of this effect will be written to the "Target Pitch".
If NN is empty, then the previous "Target Pitch" value will be used. And it is C10 by default - this is why you hear this unexpected slide.
Then it will be overwritten with the values g3 and G3 in your pattern...
signality

Re: Unexpected Slide to note behaviour first time through pattern

Post by signality »

Thanks for the explanation.
To close this off I've uploaded two more little projects that show:
(i) another way to do the pitch up/down bend that avoids the missing NN value (fixing_the_squeak_1st_time_its_played.sunvox)
and;
(ii) the "proper" way to write the pitch bend that provides the missing NN value as per your explanation (fixing_the_squeak_1st_time_its_played_02.sunvox)
Thanks again,

:)
Attachments
fixing_the_squeak_1st_time_its_played_02.sunvox
Correcting the missing NN error in my original attempt
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
fixing_the_squeak_1st_time_its_played.sunvox
Another way to do the pitch bend
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times