Click on panning hard left/right with long decay on FM synth

Found a bug? Post it here.
NeuroNoNeuro

Click on panning hard left/right with long decay on FM synth

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

While sequencing my instruments, I have both ran my instruments through an amplifier (and have also tried their built-in panning) to make sure they can be panned hard left/right. They definitely can!

The issue is that I'm getting a sharp transient 'click' in each ear when they pan. I have even went as far as to adjust the amount of panning from 0000 and 8000 and have narrowed it down to 0050 and 7950, and even as low as 5000 to see if that would do anything. No luck.

I noticed that I was using the FM synthesizer and the decay of the sounds, if reduced, removed the transient click. I had the polyphony up to 10, and there were only 4 notes being played in sequential order; not sure if polyphony or the long decay was the issue.

Is this something that is a known issue?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Click on panning hard left/right with long decay on FM synth

Post by NightRadio »

Both modules (Amplifier and FM) don't have a built-in parameter interpolation.
So the volume or panning will be changed instantly, immediately after the command is received.
Workaround:
use MultiCtl (with Response value below 1000) -> Amplifier
this will smooth out the controller changes,
although this will not be ideal, because the panning parameter has too few steps (legacy of old SunVox versions)

one day i will fix it... )
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Thank you for this! Will look to using it in the future :)
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Oh hey, I did a thing that probably helps! My LR Fine Position metamodule (included under effects → stereo) uses amps' fine volume controllers instead of balance internally, and has a multictl response controller. It's not just the balance though, if you're looking to keep L/R information separated - it copies channels to each other and lets you raise/lower their volume on each side inversely. A smooth balance module like that would be easy to throw together...
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

clickier than expected with certain sounds and settings but not bad:
Attachments
Balance Smoothly.sunsynth
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Saltbearer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 am clickier than expected with certain sounds and settings but not bad:
Thank you! I’ll look into it for the next time this happens 🙂 very helpful!
burij

Post by burij »

My workaround to eliminate transient click is to use the compressor module. i noticed, that this one is the only one, which has no clicking at all, if you change volume even very rapidly (I'm using it a lot fot building custom envelopes). so i builded a custom amplifier module which uses the general idea of @Saltbearer, but uses compressors instead. i'm not expiriencing any clicking anymore.
Attachments
tool_wSCH Amplifier Pro.sunsynth
(16.69 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by burij on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

burij wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm My workaround to eliminate transient click is to use the compressor module. i noticed, that this one is the only one, which has no clicking at all, if you change volume even very rapidly (I'm using it a lot fot building custom envelopes). so i builded a custom amplifier module which uses the general idea of saltbelter, but uses compressors instead. i'm not expiriencing any clicking anymore.
This sounds like a neat solution too! When I’m back at it, and if it keeps happening, I’ll try this out. I’m also wondering if this happened because I had a short pattern on loop while I was editing it. Maybe it was running out of polyphony.