Hard Limiter (a.k.a. Brickwall Limiter)

The Handle

Hard Limiter (a.k.a. Brickwall Limiter)

Post by The Handle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 am

"Hard Limiter is like an extreme compressor effect, reducing the dynamic range of the audio. Where the waveform exceeds the level set in "dB limit" it is clipped down, so reducing the peak level. Hard Limiter can also sometimes be used to remove stubborn clicks that peak well above the general level of the waveform."
(http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/hard_limiter.html)

Basically, the hard limiter is used to make the peaks of the waveform flat. In the above quote, "clipping" is used to refer to the flattening of the waveform, but below is the more common use of the word.

"Clipping is a form of waveform distortion that occurs when an amplifier is overdriven and attempts to deliver an output voltage or current beyond its maximum capability. Driving an amplifier into clipping may cause it to output power in excess of its published ratings."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28audio%29)

This is what causes those "clicks" Audacity was referring to in the first quote (it's most noticeable when both the sound quality of your computer and sunvox are set high). My version uses two amplifiers and a distortion module. The distortion module's "Power" controller will affect how much is cut, and the Input/Output Volume controllers are used to adjust the sound before/after the distortion. In Audacity, "dB limit" tells the hard limiter how much to cut.

Below is a picture to give you a better idea of what a hard limiter does. The first track is unaffected, the second has the hard limiter on it.

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/602 ... r.sunsynth

Chain sequence:
Amplifier->Distortion->Amplifier->Out

manganoid

Re: Hard Limiter (a.k.a. Brickwall Limiter)

Post by manganoid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54 pm

gonna try it. Thanx 4 sharing

SolarLune

Post by SolarLune » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Popping in to say this is extremely useful, and I'm really glad to have it in my "arsenal", haha. It can really help bolster the volume of songs quite a bit! Of course, it comes at the detriment of the dynamics, but used effectively, it's really useful. Thanks a lot, The Handle! I'm gonna make a video about this.

The Handle

Post by The Handle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:07 am

SolarLune wrote:Popping in to say this is extremely useful, and I'm really glad to have it in my "arsenal", haha. It can really help bolster the volume of songs quite a bit! Of course, it comes at the detriment of the dynamics, but used effectively, it's really useful. Thanks a lot, The Handle! I'm gonna make a video about this.
I'm glad you're making use of the tool! I mostly use it for differentiating between the kicks and the synths in the waveform. I usually cut down the synths just enough to make the peaks of the kick stand out (while still retaining most of the volume dynamics of the synths), so any DJ that wants to mix it will have an easier time matching the bpms or timing playback just right. I'm planning on doing some research on the amplifier and distortion modules so I can create an equation that makes it easier to choose settings for the Hard Limiter. Less guesswork = more time to dick around with the sounds :)

Until I get those equations ready though, you'll just have to mess around with the input/output volumes and the power to get what you need.