SunVox Compo 2021.02

a1matt

Re: SunVox Compo 2021.02

Post by a1matt »

I can't get enough of PoppinRumba. It's the catchiest track in the compo for me.

I've tweaked the mixdown, so the melodies are louder (relative to the drums) and have it on repeat. It's a lovely file to rummage around in, really clean sound design.

Are you on here MonoBen?
monoben

Post by monoben »

a1matt wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:06 pm I can't get enough of PoppinRumba. It's the catchiest track in the compo for me.

I've tweaked the mixdown, so the melodies are louder (relative to the drums) and have it on repeat. It's a lovely file to rummage around in, really clean sound design.

Are you on here MonoBen?
a1matt Yes!
I've been a member of the forum for some time now but I'm only here sporadically. Been hanging out on the Sunvox Discord chat a lot as of late. I can throw you an invite link if you are interested? Lots of interesting chat going on there and it's a nice place to share "work-in-progress" projects.

Thanks for saying nice things about my track. I think you are right about the mix, I made the song using a pair of AKG 240 mk2 big can open-back headphones. I've since come to realise that these are very bright sounding and mean I have a tendency to under mix in the 1k to 4k frequency area. In my car the drums are very loud, wish I'd have listened to the track there before posting... Oh well.

The composition uses a modern trick or two that keeps the listener interested. There's a chap on Youtube called Ralph Murphy who talks about song structure. My track is a near perfect form 1 song. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Middle8, Chorus and out. A structure that seems to agree with humans the world over. Ralph talks of about 4 or 5 other popular song structures and ever since listening to him I haven't made a song that deviates from this list. Also you may have noticed the track gets slightly brighter and slightly deeper as it progresses.

Your project has text in the timeline patterns.. How did you do this? I would like to be able to write in the timeline.
donkerbot

Post by donkerbot »

monoben wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 am Your project has text in the timeline patterns.. How did you do this? I would like to be able to write in the timeline.
I haven't had the time to look at projects, so I may be wrong, but you can name patterns. Just double-click a pattern to bring up the Pattern properties window. There, you can give it a name. Then if you click the 'No icon' button, your pattern will appear in the timeline with the name written out and without icon.
kevintherobloxnoob

Post by kevintherobloxnoob »

:Yahoo!: Few more hours till the results come! But for now: I gotta go to sleep, cause it 12:42 AM in my city.
Using SunVox for like a year and still a beginner. :)

My SC:https://soundcloud.com/kevintherobloxnoob
My Audius:https://audius.co/kevintheroblox1
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

donkerbot wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 am
monoben wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 am Your project has text in the timeline patterns.. How did you do this? I would like to be able to write in the timeline.
I haven't had the time to look at projects, so I may be wrong, but you can name patterns. Just double-click a pattern to bring up the Pattern properties window. There, you can give it a name. Then if you click the 'No icon' button, your pattern will appear in the timeline with the name written out and without icon.
That is exactly how I did it.

The flexibility of the options in the pattern properties is one of the reasons I love SunVox. The combination of names/patterns/foreground and background colours is allowing me to slowly develop a labelling convention that makes it easier to keep track of what is happening as a project gets more complex.

For example, I separate out controller automation and note data into separate patterns. And then colour code the controller patterns.

Combining this with descriptive text labels and I can get an overview of what each pattern is doing straight from the timeline.

This comes in very handing when redoing controller automation (which is quite common for me at the mixdown stage).
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

monoben wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 am a1matt Yes!
Hi!

I was on the discord for a few days, but had to remove the app as it causes my phone to crash a lot. One day I'll get a new phone and will be sure to rejoin. I liked the way WIPs are openly shared, helps develop the community feel.

I will check out that YT channel as I have been starting to incorporare pop song structures recently too. Instinctively I tend to reach for dance structures (eg intro/drop/breakdown/drop).

There are little details in your tune that aren't obvious to the ear on casual listening but have an effect (like the shaker pattern being faster in the last section).

I tried to do similar in my song - like repeating a drum pattern, but changing the hat velocity and pattern slightly and pushing the kick harder into the compressor. Can't even hear the differences myself on casual listening, but the energy changes and I know that's why.

I think you pull that movement off better than I do. I will keep at it.

One question I have for you... some of your amp modules show a little triangle. Once in the bottom left of the module and once again next to controller1. What does that signify?

I imagine I won't have got even close to studying everyones songs before the 2022 compo comes round.
Trackerbound

Post by Trackerbound »

a1matt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:00 pm some of your amp modules show a little triangle. Once in the bottom left of the module and once again next to controller1. What does that signify?
It means that the synth's controller marked with triangle is mapped to a MIDI knob/button and its value is changed physically by pressing a button or tweaking a knob.
Attachments
midi map settings.jpg
midi map settings.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 33516 times
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

Thanks Trackerbound. (It makes sense now why I didn't recognise it as I am on an Android device with an OS that isn't new enough for SunVox midi IO.)
monoben

Post by monoben »

Trackerbound wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:29 pm
a1matt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:00 pm some of your amp modules show a little triangle. Once in the bottom left of the module and once again next to controller1. What does that signify?
It means that the synth's controller marked with triangle is mapped to a MIDI knob/button and its value is changed physically by pressing a button or tweaking a knob.
Yes I'm using a AKAI LPD8 with 8 pads and 8 twisty control knobs, so nothing special or expensive. There really is no substitute for actual twist knobs. Being able to dial in compressor settings without having to think something along the lines of: Right now I have to look at the screen find the attack and click and hold it and pull it left or right. I have a dedicated thing on my desk and I literally have my eyes shut while working. So my focus is in the right place. Basically impossible to work without some physical knobs.

Also I should mention I use a Focusright Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. The bass, the lead and chords were recorded into Sunvox sampler module using a fender J bass and a Yamaha electric guitar to quickly play parts into the project and then programmed those parts in and deleted the samplers. It really helped keep to everything musical, I didn't just conjure the parts in my head and program them in, my fingers danced them into the project.

Been looking at buying and small midi keyboard, been eyeing up the Arturia MiniLab MKII but I dunno, not ready to pull the trigger yet. I'm not a very good keyboard player. I'm much more comfortable with a fretboard, if only I could find a good midi fretboard ...

I like to think my rig is minimal. Desktop pc core i5, 8g ram, a cheap audio interface with a cheap midi controller and a pair of big can headphones. I'm pretty sure kiberaver has a full studio with treated room acoustics and everything.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

Thank you for sharing all these details, it's always nice to hear the story behind a track and how people work.

'Song Exploder Podcast - SunVox Compo Episode' 8)
monoben

Post by monoben »

donkerbot wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 am
Thanks donkerbot! Didn't see that before. Is this a recent development?
monoben

Post by monoben »

a1matt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:55 pm Thank you for sharing all these details, it's always nice to hear the story behind a track and how people work.

'Song Exploder Podcast - SunVox Compo Episode' 8)
I just searched for Song Exploder on Spotify, looks like I've got something new to binge listen to now!
Obscure

Post by Obscure »

monoben wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 pm Didn't see that before. Is this a recent development?
No, not at all.
This has been here for a long time.
If it wasn't a well-known feature, then you wouldn't have found a song that used it.
Check me out on YouTube!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The SunVox Compo 2021.02 is over!
Congratulations to all participants and winners!
Thank you for the great music!
:beer: :Bravo: :Yahoo!:

The final rating:
1. Logickin - Mech Haven : 282
2. So_ingMachine - Some of our tracks cant be covered : 281
3. kiberaver - electric dreams : 275

4. GreenPix & fuzion_mixer - Misty funk : 269
5. fuzion_mixer - Angel's Touch (Radio Edit) : 266
6. Logickin - Superposition : 265
7. RobloxFan75000 - The Possibility : 258
8. RobloxFan75000 & KTRNMusic - Jam-O-Trone : 257
9. Trackerbound - identity theft : 256
10. sk0 - Celestial : 256
11. sk0 - Mimosa : 256
12. SawZer & Trackerbound - Satellite : 253
13. Echo2 - Chill : 248
14. Awi - ASTRAL REVOLT : 247
15. SawZer - The Spaces Between : 247
16. Seriy MLGamer - The forest mystery : 247
17. RAGING COAST - '77 Fading Wave : 246
18. Taneb - Shadowcasting sand valleys : 246
19. DREADNOUGHT - petrolgirl : 241
20. MonoBen - PoppinRumba : 237
21. Seriy MLGamer - The voice of Sun : 233
22. Egor Vinogradov - Selitra : 229
23. Caccia - Prototype T6 : 228
24. ZEFFII - ANGSTHAZEN : 227
25. manganoid - BOSS BATTLE : 227
26. Circular Bounce - Back to Back : 223
27. KTRNMusic - No More Summer For A Long Time : 222
28. Extreem - Ethers : 221
29. Osya - Electrolife : 221
30. Caccia - Save State Corrupt : 220
31. RAGING COAST - Beatnik Breakbeat : 220
32. Elad Hen - Song 07 : 219
33. donkerbot - Karen Does A Puzzle (Instrumentalish) : 219
34. manganoid - Giddiup Horsie : 217
35. !!!!!output0 - Welcome to the Sunvox Compo! : 215
36. 21music - Looner Syndrome : 215
37. Extreem - bepis : 215
38. mk7 - undead critters : 215
39. ZEFFII - ALUVIAL : 214
40. skotina - i put off cigarettes by burning my skin : 214
41. 21music - Compo rave : 212
42. Obscure - Melancholy : 212
43. skotina - i woke up and screamed like no other night : 210
44. Cyborg Cassowary - My Long Distance Love, Lua : 205
45. Obscure - Botch Laboratories : 204
46. mk7 - My song 27 sep 2013 00.25 : 203
47. Nechtoinoe - Signal : 202
48. Queries - Power Supply Flextronics : 200
49. blint - SynthBirth : 197
50. A1 - I Can Make It : 195
51. GrayLizard - BABBLE : 194
52. konanpa - dependence : 193
53. GrayLizard - GURGLE : 192
54. alobx - bassed : 192
55. NT - 603 : 191
56. aaaaaaaa - aaaaaaaa : 191
57. Jan Koekepan - Passing Dream : 190
58. Kat Purpy - Totally Not A TWIN : 190
59. Cyborg Cassowary - The Irish Tradition : 188
60. Kat Purpy - Electric Sheep Are Now Sleeping : 188
61. oddDoll - Black Wallpaper : 173
62. Artinum - Laser Canon : 172
63. Artinum - Piano : 164
64. Guggel - Brainfart : 159
65. sunlox - rebuilt : 157

Tracks 1-3 will be included to the SunVox distribution!
For those participants who need promocodes (for any of my apps) - just email me nightradio@gmail.com
monoben

Post by monoben »

Congratulations to the winners!

Also it's very generous of you NightRadio to give away free promo codes to all the participants.

I really enjoyed the whole process, from making my track to listening to all the entrys and taking the time to carefully vote.

Are we allowed to know how many people voted in the competition NightRadio?

Looking forward to the next competition.