A Mini SunVox Compo?

squidmissile

A Mini SunVox Compo?

Post by squidmissile »

Hey guys, I actually made this thread to see if there really is any interest in a friendly compo. I've mentioned before that I have been thinking about starting up one myself. Just a fun friendly compo, here on the boards. Aaand I think I was told to go for it. So I'm thinking about really going for it.

Following some of the advice Zhuinden gave to me and posting some mock rules for a compo. Something inspired by the old minimalistic SunVox competitions.

Mini SunVox Compo

Rules
- The Sampler and Voribs Player modules are not allowed.
- Minimum song length: 2:00
- Maximum song length: 5:00
- Only SunVox enteries allowed.
- Original, unpolished works only; no covers or remixes.
- Only 2 songs max allowed per artist.
- Any genre allowed.

Deadline: September 8875

If you're interested, please share you're thoughts. Do you think the rules look okay? Is there any interest in compo like this? If not, what would you guys like to see? Would you prefer something with simpler rules like Nightradio's SunVox compos? Do you even have time to enter?

I'm open too suggestions. :)

Edit:
Removed a rule.
Changed a rule.

I will post a new thread when this actually starts. If you actual bothered to figure out the deadline above (around Dec. 17-18 depending on your time zone), please note that it may change.
Last edited by squidmissile on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zeffii

Re: A Mini SunVox Compo

Post by zeffii »

i'm all for a competition.. in perpetuity.. monthly..weekly. Compos with reasonable limitations always push people to get more intimate with their software.

however, this rule
- No more than 6 tracks (channels) can play simultaneously. (Single pattern recommended. Effects are included in the 6 tracks.)
will turn me off.

I'm all for
- no samples
- only sunvox modules
squidmissile

Re: A Mini SunVox Compo

Post by squidmissile »

I'm cool with that. I just came up with the rules spot on the spot as an example for something that could be challenging. I tried to form a model of rules after the Box10SVC and The Handle's minimalist competitions from way back in the day. But I admit that maybe that rule is a bit too restrictive. Especially for newcomers to SunVox wishing to enter a compo. The rule set could be used later for some kind of themed compo. So we can remove the rule:
- No more than 6 tracks (channels) can play simultaneously. (Single pattern recommended. Effects are included in the 6 tracks.)
Samples (the sampler, and vorbis modules) can be removed as well. But this change alone already makes the rules pretty similar to Nightradio's competitions. Should we just go that route?

Should samples really be removed? We could just place restrictions on them. Like allowing only one sampler module or limiting samples in length (like say, 4 seconds). Thoughts?

P.S.
I do have to admit this one thing about samples though. I haven't seen anyone use the Voribs Player in any of the SunVox files I've downloaded over the years.
zeffii

Re: A Mini SunVox Compo?

Post by zeffii »

Especially for newcomers to SunVox wishing to enter a compo.
i've only been using Sunvox for about 1.5 years, there's a lot to learn. I think making a point of starting with no samples will help much like forbidding the use of presets on vsts. It pushes people to explore the very origins of the sounds they want to share, and not just resorting to a sound that exists (and was heavily engineered by someone else, potentially).

If it's possible to trigger sample recording on the fly (with no user interaction) via a pattern command... that would open Samplers too.
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

zeffii wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 amIf it's possible to trigger sample recording on the fly (with no user interaction) via a pattern command... that would open Samplers too.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this... It's possible to "retrigger" notes of instruments via pattern commands. But initially you have to play a note first. In the case of samples there are commands to offset the sample (07 and 09). Which basicly lets you control the phase of the sample.

I actually thought for a little about how to argue against your points. Samples can actually be the origins of a sound one wants to explore. But you (somewhat indirectly) bring up a good point, that the samples used may not all be of the same quality. Which, seemingly, may make things unfair for some and suck the fun out of this for them and others. This could be solved by creating a sample pack. However, that's something that I don't think I currently have time for at this particular moment or in the near future.

So.... I think I'll remove the use of them, for now. BUT if several others can make a compelling case for the use the of samples or someone can donate a sample pack for use in the compo, I'll probably add them back.
zeffii wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 am i've only been using Sunvox for about 1.5 years, there's a lot to learn.
For some reason, these words also make me think that metamodules should, maybe, be removed as well. But is that going too far?

And lastly, is there anyone else that would like to see this compo get up and running? I want to make sure that there will be more than 2 people entering this before getting started.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I'm in.

Don't know how good my entry will be, but I'm in!
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

Great! I'll start a new thread real soon (sometime this week) so we can get things rolling. :D
zeffii

Post by zeffii »

squidmissile.

In Buzz you can record a new sample into an empty sample slot while the track is playing, programmatically. Then after the sample has stopped recording you can play that sample. In effect you can "trigger" the recording state of a sample slot. Once it's no longer empty the sample slot can be played like any other sample.

A sample pack, yes that does level the playing field a lot.