Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

SawZer

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer »

organic io wrote:All votes have been received!

Points were calculated as:
1st place vote = 5 points, 2nd place = 4 points, 3rd = 3 points, 4th = 2 points, 5th = 1 point.

Some of you put votes in for 6th and 7th, those were not counted.

Sunvox Compo #1 Results:

1st - 27 points - beefinator - Backtracking

2nd - 25 points - organic io - Quiescent

3rd - 17 points - Zhuinden - Darkness and Light

4th - 16 points - PrestonSands - Torque

5th - 15 points - menthes - America

6th - 13 points - spurkopf - klangbild

7th - 7 points - SolarLune - Moon's Orbit

8th - 0 points - Chippymunk - Starlit Disco and Funky Nights

Congrats to all! It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed listening to everone's songs. I'm looking forward to the upcoming compos. As far as my next compo, I'm still thinking of ideas.. What about a samples only compo? :D
How about my 10 module idea???
organic io

Post by organic io »

ChippyMunk wrote:How about my 10 module idea???
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said "the upcoming compos", I was referring to Handle's minimalist and then your Box10 SVC... I was planning my next one for after yours is complete. :D

P.S... Sawtooth monk (name idea, eh?), I was sad to see that you didn't have any points.. I hope that is not too discouraging to you, I have gotten last place in plenty of compos too :) You still had a fun song and I enjoyed listening to it and seeing how it was made.

-Scott
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

organic io wrote:
ChippyMunk wrote:How about my 10 module idea???
Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said "the upcoming compos", I was referring to Handle's minimalist and then your Box10 SVC... I was planning my next one for after yours is complete. :D

P.S... Sawtooth monk (name idea, eh?), I was sad to see that you didn't have any points.. I hope that is not too discouraging to you, I have gotten last place in plenty of compos too :) You still had a fun song and I enjoyed listening to it and seeing how it was made.

-Scott
Ok, cool. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed, but it was still fun! How about Sawzer, or SawZer, or even DJ SawZer?
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

DO NOT—I repeat—DO NOT choose a name that includes "DJ".
Be original.

I think ChippyMunk is fine. :)
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)
organic io

Post by organic io »

beefinator wrote:DO NOT—I repeat—DO NOT choose a name that includes "DJ".
Be original.
I have to agree with this. Unless you're actually planning on being a DJ... And even then it's not required. Plenty of DJ's don't have "DJ" in their name.

I've gone through several name changes, and at one point it was "DJ i/o", because once upon a time I actually used to spin big round discs ... But, once I got out of that and was getting more serious about music production, I ended up changing it because I didn't want people to associate my music with "cheesy dance music". I wanted to change it just to "i/o", but the slash doesn't really work so well on internet sites, plus it's too short.

Disclaimer: Not that I don't like cheesy dance music, because I do occasionally... But it's not what I'm really serious about, therefore I don't really need to exclaim that affiliation to the world. :)
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

organic io wrote:
beefinator wrote:DO NOT—I repeat—DO NOT choose a name that includes "DJ".
Be original.
I have to agree with this. Unless you're actually planning on being a DJ... And even then it's not required. Plenty of DJ's don't have "DJ" in their name.

I've gone through several name changes, and at one point it was "DJ i/o", because once upon a time I actually used to spin big round discs ... But, once I got out of that and was getting more serious about music production, I ended up changing it because I didn't want people to associate my music with "cheesy dance music". I wanted to change it just to "i/o", but the slash doesn't really work so well on internet sites, plus it's too short.

Disclaimer: Not that I don't like cheesy dance music, because I do occasionally... But it's not what I'm really serious about, therefore I don't really need to exclaim that affiliation to the world. :)
I chose SawZer. SawZer wasn't taken, so I just changed it.
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Yeah, I kinda like SawZer, actually. NEVER, EVER DJ SAWZER. :)

For the logo/profile art, you should try hand-drawing that same letter arrangement, it's kinda cool, and I think it might look cool with hand-drawn roughness.
It's also something easy to reproduce, so it could be restyled for future things, similar to the Daft Punk title letters, for example.

Oh, and thanks for voting for my song, everybody! I worked hard on that one.
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)