SunVox & Pixxilang could be on Pop! OS Store

Any topics and questions
ainegil

SunVox & Pixxilang could be on Pop! OS Store

Post by ainegil »

I just discovred "Pop! OS", a Linux distribution that is very commercial looking but quite nice,
and also exists for Raspberry Pi .

The company behind it seems to try to become the new OpenSource Apple or something, they are selling Notebooks,
but with the label "repairable" or "your right to repair".

The OS has a non-commercial "store", this means a colorful nicely designed list and way to install preselected Linux software. You can of course also install anything via terminal.

They claim to aim at creatives and poeple from math, science, etc.

i think that SunVox and Pixilang could very well fit in this store, given that both are free, and given the nature of
the two softwares and the fact that they both also exist for Arm.

Right now I am writing this on a newly installed Pop OS on Raspberry.
I tried several distributions the past few days, and this is the one i like most besides the original Pi OS.

Heres a link in case someone wants to try it,

the installed OSis ~ 4 GB including 15 or so tools for networking etc and the store.

The store itself is a bit slow and buggy, and the OS is based on Gnome I think.

But they really tried a lot to make it easy and accessible and nice from the look and feel.
It has the best dworking esign, (dark and light theme) I found so far. Both functional and kind of tatsetful retro modern.

The install is encryptetd by default btw.

I dont know how they select their software collectionthough,its not that there is everything on the list
Its a lot but it seems all tested bevore etc, quite different to the store of Android where you have fraudulent
stuff and tons of advertising and all that crap.

EDIT: forgot the link https://pop.system76.com/
ainegil

Re: SunVox & Pixxilang could be on Pop! OS Store

Post by ainegil »

that was posted a little bit too early, at least on th RasPi it doesnt work at all.

I made 4 attempts to install it, no installation worked.
odoyle

Re: SunVox & Pixxilang could be on Pop! OS Store

Post by odoyle »

Pop!_OS is my daily driver on my System76 laptop. It’s the best balance of Ubuntu backend usability (systemd and apt), minus Canonical's unfortunate decision to implement snap packages on their own OS.

I love pop, and with a bit of work it performs absolutely flawlessly for audio production. I have Sunvox, Renoise, and Bitwig Studio all running flawlessly and routing via JACK through qjackctl and jackmix. ALSA and pipewire are also running for convenience inside gnome. It’s a beautiful thing!

Pop also games very, very well. If you have a nvidia card, the so will automatically configure it for you at OS install.

I have absolutely zero regrets dumping Windows and OS X. If you’re willing to learn how to troubleshoot minor things (which is the standard caveat for Linux use anyways), Pop is just fantastic.

I can speak for System76 hardware as well. They currently design their own desktops and high-end tower workstations. They can be specced well over $10k USD for a screaming-fast multiple Xeon or super high-end Threadripper with absolutely ridiculous GPUs for AI work or major render jobs, etc. They also have affordable options for the rest of us.

Their laptops are not in-house. They are boutique builds of Clevo hardware. Some of them are good, some are so-so, and some are absolutely ridiculous machines. I bought the ridiculous one two years ago and I have no regrets. My LAPTOP has a full desktop 10900k, a 2080 Super (not max-q), a 2TB evo 980 m.2 drive, and 64GB of quad-channel ddr4 3200 RAM. It came with TWO 280W power bricks to run it. It’s ridiculous, and I love the thing. After repasting the CPU and GPU with kryonaut, all cores run comfortably at around 4.8-5.1Ghz before I see any throttling, depending on load. That a laptop chassis is able hold a cooler that can achieve this is an engineering marvel.

As to the suggestion that Sunvox hit the Pop! Shop, that all entirely depends on whether Alex has his stuff up on the official repositories. Pop Shop is just a gui for what we usually just use apt for. Most of us just use the CLI.