Is a Resistor a Filter?

Any topics and questions
monoben

Is a Resistor a Filter?

Post by monoben »

Is a resistor a filter?

You know we find resistors in some AC circuits, dose a resistor act the same as a filter would act on the signal in Sunvox?

Also is it a fair comparison to say that a diode in a AC circuit dose to the signal what the Waveshaper dose if I colour the wave graph in full light? (and make sure the symmetrical is set to off obvs) It rectifies the signal?

Also one last thing.. What is a capacitors affect on a AC signal?

I really know very little about electronics engineering so sorry if these questions seem silly.
SawZer

Re: Is a Resistor a Filter?

Post by SawZer »

This isn't a complete answer, but a resistor by itself doesn't act like a filter, nor does a capacitor. When you pair a capacitor and a resistor together, they create a filter based on the resistance and capacitance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_circuit

EDIT: Regarding the use of diodes:
You're sorta right, the "perfect" diode would clip an entire side off of a signal, but what really happen is some signal still comes through. So the effect is like if you distorted a sound but only everything below 0 was affected. Which is why...
Most distortion circuits have 2 diodes, one for each direction the signal flows. This will clip both sides to some extent.
monoben

Re: Is a Resistor a Filter?

Post by monoben »

Thanks SawZer.

Seems as though I underestimated how strange the behaviour of electricity is.

I was actually hoping to make a filter in Sunvox without using the filter modules.

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board now.