Piano-Diagram(piano version of fretboard diagram)

Any topics and questions
philipbergwerf

Piano-Diagram(piano version of fretboard diagram)

Post by philipbergwerf »

Hello people!

Offtopic but I really wanted to share this because the sunvox users are really open minded.

A few years ago I got this idea to make a pianodiagram above a difficult to read chord inside sheets. Since then I have made a very difficult puzzle, did a lot of research on this subject.
I got deeply inspired by klavarskribo. It seems very obvius that somone should have made this diagram earlier but I showed people from the klavarskribo community and they where surprised by this idea. Also I couldn't find a similar idea. of course there are projects that look like this but they are all very complicated(ambrose pianotab). I wanted only to solve the 'problem' of reading gramaticly complicated chords. Also I am a huge fan of klavarskribo notation. Klavarskribo notation is like reading a tracker sequencer from top to bottom. It's possible to print midifiles with the program klavarscript(can run very well in wine).

Piano-diagram
- The vertical lines are representing the black keys of the piano keyboard.
- The group of three lines is little thicker than group of two.
- One group of two lines is/or can be dashed. This is the clef/position of the central c.
- The 'stem' lines are giving clarity about which notes are assigned to which hands.
- When a chord is cross hands I designed different symbols to clarify the split point.
I added a little chord progression so you can try it :)

I want to spread the idea and am asking for feedback from the sunvox community! Thank you!

Philip Bergwerf
Attachments
Pianodiagram Chords.png
Pianodiagram Chords.png (30.6 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
Piano-diagram crosshands.png
Piano-diagram crosshands.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
Piano_diagram.png
Piano_diagram.png (30.05 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
hseiken

Re: Piano-Diagram(piano version of fretboard diagram)

Post by hseiken »

Personally, as a non-guitar player, I always found looking at guitar tabs difficult. But then again, I grew up reading piano sheet music. I think the idea is interesting and I think mostly readability comes from having formal training in whatever kind of notation that is trained on. I don't think there's any wrong or right way for any kind of notation, the real work still comes from learning to read and play.

At any rate, keep going. I'm not hip to the references you draw from, but this idea as thing should be explored. I think some of the key points you need to think about is for soloing/arpaggios that are constantly changing, time signatures, etc. etc.

My guess is that your diagrams are used to facilitate reading traditional sheet music? That was my understanding of guitar tabliture, but again, I've no experience in that area...My goal with this message is to encourage you to share more and consider all the problems that traditional sheet music is actually trying to solve visually.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

Thank you for your reply!

Indeed it can facilitate sheet music by clarifying a difficult chord. Also for making lead sheets for jazz pianists. It is adding visual representation od the piano-keyboard and removing the difficulties of having to think about which key signature the chord is in.

For the diagram, there is no need to develop time-signature because they are written in the staff. And it's already existing as I told about klavarskribo. Klavarskribo is a notation system(which contains time-signature, key-signature, rhythmic notation works in distances like a piano-roll editor), the diagram is like the guitar diagram, it doesn't contain rhythm.

I definitely am going further in developing this, I started programming a simple program which does the following: input notes by user -> giving back the written chord plus the name of the chord.
ainegil

Post by ainegil »

I think it's interesting.
The black key lines could be a little bit more bold I think than in the example, for me.

Maybe you should either approach a publisher or try to publish a small example yourself.

Just to popularize the idea. Then publish at some ebook publishing service or similar.

Probably you would need a little software to layout and/or convert sheet music easily.

Once it's published, and possibly has a review somewhere, someone could add it to wikipedia...