Haiku port

Any topics and questions
danboid

Haiku port

Post by danboid »

Hi Nightradio and sunvox users!

Haiku Alpha 3 got released recently!

http://haiku-os.org/get-haiku/release-notes

I've just installed it on my netbook and its looking great - it makes all the other modern OSs look slow in comparison and I'm really excited about where this could go. It boots and runs SO fast even on modest hardware, my sound works, lan+wifi works (no WPA yet though), I can print.. now I'd just like to be able to fire up sunvox and make some music with it!

SDL and gcc are available for Haiku and its supposedly POSIX compliant so I would hope you'd be able to port it pretty easily - I think Haiku would be a very cool platform to run sunvox on and unlike most of the other platforms it runs on Haiku doesn't have any good alternatives to sunvox available - another good reason to port it ;)

Apart from a Haiku port my most wanted feature has to be support for non-4/4 time sigs - might we see this added soon?

Thanks very much for the excellent program!

Dan
danboid

Re: Haiku port

Post by danboid »

I hope my last post didn't sound like an advert for Haiku - I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than having interest in the project and- owning so many different computers and being a master coder I presume you knew what Haiku was anyway. I suppose I was still excited after trying their latest release and seeing wifi/printing work etc.

The main reason I wanted to post again even before you've replied to my first posting is that I neglected to say a HUGE

THANKS!!!

To Alex for releasing SunVox for free (for most plaforms anyway) - its the best free tracker-style app I've ever used and IMO one of the best free music apps for Linux or any platform. I'm still finding my way around but I'm having incredible fun doing so and I really like the interface- its clean, uncluttered and logical. I'm disappointed I haven't tried it sooner although I only heard about it a few months ago.

As I said - a Haiku port would be just fantastic as would different time sigs/being able to create patterns of x lines length but I'd also be very keen to see JACK support (where are the marauding hordes for that feature?) and as I've heard a few people request on here, the ability to record patterns in realtime from either computer or MIDI keyboard. I'd be totally made up then!

Looking forward to the next release, thanks again Alex!
mrcold

Post by mrcold »

(echo jack support!!!!)
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks for backing me on the JACK support mrcold - I'm a bit concerned about the lack of response from NightRadio though - I'd like to think he's busy evaluating my requests before replying!?

I'm still finding my feet under sunvox to be honest but another problem that I didn't mention before lies in the sampler. You can choose a range of active notes for a sample but once selected you can't de-select notes - seems the only way to reset the range of active notes is to delete that sample module :/ I would like to see left-click for select and right-click to deselect notes. Middle click (if available) could be used to set the root note (or relative note as its confusingly called). Seems I'm getting pretty frequent, unintentional playback distortion playing a number of the example sunvox tunes running the 32bit Linux 1.6.3 under Debian too..

I've read that the sunvox sound engine is BSD open source? I can't find a working link to the (latest) sources and they don't seem to be mentioned on the homepage. It'd be fantastic to see the sunvox synths ported to an LV2 plugin(s) for use under Ardour 3 and qtractor etc. although I'm not expecting Alex to do this too. I think Alex very much deserves to get paid for all his hard work by selling sunvox for the ipad/iphone etc. but I have been wondering if he intends to fully open source all of sunvox eventually hence ousting Milkytracker as the ultimate open source tracker!?

I've got a Zaurus C3000 upstairs and I'm tempted to get it set up again in the vain hope it can run the maemo version of sunvox - that'd be great!

Alex??
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

danboid,

sorry for delay with answer. As usual, the main problem is the lack of free time.
Haiku looks interesting. I will definitely take a look at this in future.

And about some specific SunVox questions.
You can choose a range of active notes for a sample but once selected you can't de-select notes
It is not quite so. Just select any other sample-slot (squares with the numbers) and choose a range for it. Even if the slot is empty. And this new range will be subtracted from the first slot.
Seems I'm getting pretty frequent, unintentional playback distortion playing a number of the example sunvox tunes running the 32bit Linux 1.6.3 under Debian too.
Check the SunVox output in Terminal during playback. May be there will be some ALSA/SDL errors. Also you can try to increase audio buffer size in the sunvox_config.ini file, as described here: http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:man ... figuration
I've read that the sunvox sound engine is BSD open source?
It was in earlier versions of SunVox. Now sources are closed.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi NightRadio!

Thanks for answering most of my questions - I will try increasing the audio buffer as you suggested.

Shame sunvox is closed source again but I'm happy to hear we may see a Haiku port! That would be cool.

Any thoughts on JACK support for at least the Linux builds (pref. OSX too)?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

JACK support is in my plans too :) But with low priority...
And some words about the sources. Yes, now SunVox is proprietary software. But sources of early version is still available in the archive with BTTS music album: http://www.warmplace.ru/music/btts/btts.zip
danboid

Post by danboid »

Hi NightRadio

Have you had chance to check out Haiku yet? I've installed it on my latest laptop and I love it to bits! Its a great hacker / hobbyist OS already and its lots of fun.

I insalled it off a super-crappy 4GB USB stick in literally about 10 seconds (its crazy how fast it installs) onto my i7 laptop which is now triple-booting Arch Linux, Windows 7 and Haiku. It installs and runs so much faster than Linux! With Windows its no comparison at all in terms of raw speed, boot time etc.

Under Haiku I have a nice terminal with most of my fave UNIX commands and utils like vim, gcc, ffmpeg, SDL, lame etc. qupzilla is a nice webkit browser, I can watch youtue etc via ubertuber, I can can mount my Linux and Windows drives, pretty much all my hardware (except my webcam) is supported and since I last tried it its now got a really nice package manager called Haikudepot.

Seeing as I don't care much about 3D graphics or my webcam most of the time, I think I can ditch Linux and use Haiku as my main OS when:

1 - sunvox gets ported
2 - Libreoffice gets done (in progress, via at Qt port apparently)
3 - MuSE and/or qtractor and gets ported

I'm not expecting you to do anything about 2 and 3 of course but I know you like a good underdog OS to port sunvox to! :D I'd love to see KDEnlive ported to Haiku too but that seem even more far fetched than a qtractor port because of its KDE dependency.

You can get LMMS, Milkytracker, Protrekkr and another MIDI app called MeV from Haikudepot already but none of them really compare to sunvox.

Have I interested you yet? :D
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Hi!
Looks very interesting! Thank you for the info!
I will check this OS later. No free time now, sorry :(
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Nightradio!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Haiku when you find time to try it!