Controlling Sunvox with pulseband?

AndersBrontosaurus

Controlling Sunvox with pulseband?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Hello!
I just stumbled across this fantastic sunvox and am still learning to operate it. Now I have a question: would it be possible to control the sunvox with a pulseband/heartrate monitor?

Why?

Because I like to run and I have an idea that i haven't tried fully but would like to experiment with. The idea is that experienced runners claim that the most efficient way of running is to be running with a cadence of 160-180 steps/minute. This happens to be similar with the pulse you have when you're out running so my question is: what happens if you run to the beat of your own heart? I have tried running with my fingers on the aorta being able to tune the steps according to the heart but it's not convinient to run like that for a longer while so I've been thinking about other solutions about how to be able to hear the heart whike running. Then it occurred to me. If sunvox in my N9 could be controlled by a bluetooth-hrm then Sunvox could provide me with a sound that beats in pace with my heart through the earplugs.

what do you think? Is this doable?

I'd also like to give my deep respect for developing this fantastic little thing.

Best regards
Anders
organic io

Re: Controlling Sunvox with pulseband?

Post by organic io »

That is an awesome idea! Sounds more like something you would need to make using the developer's Sunvox library dll... Hook the heart rate monitor to an arduino, which then converts the heartrate to MIDI which then goes to Sunvox.

Let me know if you ever get this working!

If you use a kick drum, you'll be listening to a lot of hardcore.. Heh.
AndersBrontosaurus

Re: Controlling Sunvox with pulseband?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Aye! Thanks for that quick and encouraging reply.

I'll let you know if I ever get it to work but if it's up to me it'll be a stethoscope taped on the chest. I just have the idea- no skills.
i have tried to convince others to develop a phoneapplication to do the trick but none has been keen on it yet. Guess I'll have to go to tmo-talk maemo/meego.org to find a bigger herd of nerds. :-)
Many of the things I wanted the app to do ( especially the more advanced things like preprogrammed grooves, various sounds, controlled sounds through lfo, bpm, arpeggio etc could be done with sunvox so i kinda hoped that there would be a shortcut here.

The arduino lokks like an interesting thing but there are pulsebands with bluetooth or ant+ that could communicate directly with the phone and I guess it would be easier.

Best regards
Anders